Reiko's Trip - DS (700-800) MGMAT question

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
HI, I was stuck with this question in MGMAT CAT. I am not very happy with the explanation provided. Can some please clarify??

Reiko drove from point A to point B at a constant speed, and then returned to A along the same route at a different constant speed. Did Reiko travel from A to B at a speed greater than 40 miles per hour?

(1) Reiko's average speed for the entire round trip, excluding the time spent at point B, was 80 miles per hour.

(2) It took Reiko 20 more minutes to drive from A to B than to make the return trip.
Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
Both statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER one ALONE is sufficient.
EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

MGMAT Explanation: Correct Answer (A) .. But i selected (E)
(1) SUFFICIENT: Say the trip is d miles long in each direction, so that the round-trip distance is 2d miles. According to this statement, Reiko took (2d miles)/(80 miles/hour) = d/40 hours to drive the entire round trip.

Reiko could not have driven from B to A in zero time, so it must have taken her less than d/40 hours to drive from A to B. Therefore, her speed on the trip from A to B must have been (d miles)/(LESS than d/40 hours) = 1/(LESS than 1/40 hours) = GREATER than 40 miles per hour.

(Note: when dividing by a "less than" number, flip the sign to "greater than." If we had been dividing by a "greater than" number, we would have flipped the sign to "less than.")

MY CONTENTION: This explanation could be valid vice-versa as well right?? For instance:
Reiko could not have driven from A TO B in zero time, so it must have taken her less than d/40 hours to drive from B TO A. Therefore, her speed on the trip from B TO A must have been (d miles)/(LESS than d/40 hours) = 1/(LESS than 1/40 hours) = GREATER than 40 miles per hour.

Which means either of the two trips can be greater than 40 miles per hour, right??

Would appreciate if someone can help clarify this.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:49 am
Reiko drove from point A to point B at a constant speed, and then returned to A along the same route at a different constant speed. Did Reiko travel from A to B at a speed greater than 40 miles per hour?

(1) Reiko's average speed for the entire round trip, excluding the time spent at point B, was 80 miles per hour.

(2) It took Reiko 20 more minutes to drive from A to B than to make the return trip.
Plug in the THRESHOLD.
Since we want to know whether the speed from A to B is greater than 40mph, the threshold here is 40mph.

Statement 1: Reiko's average speed for the entire round trip, excluding the time spent at point B, was 80 miles per hour.
Let the distance in each direction = 40 miles.
Time to travel the 80 miles there and back at a speed of 80 miles per hour = 1 hour.
If he travels from A to B at the threshold speed -- 40 miles per hour -- then the time from A to B = d/r = 40/40 = 1 hour.
Not possible -- since the TOTAL time is 1 hour, the time FROM A TO B must be LESS than 1 hour.
Thus, the speed from A to B must be GREATER than 40 miles per hour.

Try an extreme case:
Let the distance in each direction = 400 miles.
Time to travel the 800 miles there and back at a speed of 80 miles per hour = 800/80 = 10 hours.
If he travels from A to B at the threshold speed -- 40 miles per hour -- then the time from A to B = 400/40 = 10 hours.
Not possible -- since the TOTAL time is 10 hours, the time FROM A TO B must be LESS than 10 hours.

The two cases above illustrate the following:
If the speed from A to B is 40 miles per hour, then the TIME FROM A TO B will be equal to the TIME FOR THE ENTIRE TRIP.
Clearly not possible.
SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: It took Reiko 20 more minutes to drive from A to B than to make the return trip.
No way to determine the speed from A to B.
INSUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is A.

Here's the take-away:
When the same distance is traveled at two different speeds, the average speed for the entire trip must be LESS THAN TWICE the slower speed.
As the cases in statement 1 illustrate, if the average speed for the entire trip is EQUAL to twice the slower speed, then the TIME TRAVELED AT THE SLOWER SPEED will be equal to the TOTAL TIME FOR THE ENTIRE TRIP.
Clearly not possible.
Since statement 1 indicates that the average speed for the entire trip is 80 miles per hour, if s = the slower speed:
80 < 2s
s > 40.
Since the slower speed is greater than 40 miles per hour, the speed from A to B must be greater than 40 miles per hour.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by satish.coolin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:08 am
Hi GMATGuruNY,

Thanks much for the reply. I agree with your explanation but unfortunately my contention still remains. I agree with you that one way journey (A to B) or (B to A) has to be greater than 40. As you explained "When the same distance is traveled at two different speeds, the average speed for the entire trip must be LESS THAN TWICE the slower speed. "

But in this particular case, without any additional information for e.g. (Reiko traveled from A to B faster than B to A), how can we conclude that reiko actually faster from A to B than B to A. What if it was the other way round?

Sorry to bother you again. But it would be really helpful if you can throw some more light and help me correct my thought process.

Cheers
Subbu

by satish.coolin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:11 am
Oh i think got this. Does this mean that since average speed is 80. Both A to B and B to A will be greater than 40?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by gmatdriller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 am
satish.coolin wrote:Oh i think got this. Does this mean that since average speed is 80. Both A to B and B to A will be greater than 40?
Hi Satish,
if u understand the expression:
80 < 2s1("s1" is the slower of the two speeds)
u'll agree that 40 < s1.

If the slower speed, s1, is > 40, definitely s2 (the second speed,
will be > 40.

Hence, both s1 and s2 are greater than 40.

2nd Approach:

let V and v represent speeds in the two different directions.
generally, Avg Speed (S) = (2Vv)/(V + v)
If S = 2Vv/(V+v)
Assume v is the speed from A to B as 40; S = 80:
==> 80 = 2*40*V/ (40+V)
==> 80 = 80V/(40+v)
==> 3200 + 80V = 80V....no solution
Again try v = 39 and u get a negative value for V- not correct.

But take v =41, only then u get a +ve value for V.

Hope my explanation helps.

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:21 pm
Gmatdriller:
i didnt understand ur 2nd approach.
S = 2Vv/(V+v)
Where is the distance taken into account in this equation?????
gmatdriller wrote:
satish.coolin wrote:Oh i think got this. Does this mean that since average speed is 80. Both A to B and B to A will be greater than 40?
Hi Satish,
u'll agree that 40 < s1.

will be > 40.

2nd Approach:

If S = 2Vv/(V+v)
==> 80 = 2*40*V/ (40+V)
==> 80 = 80V/(40+v)

Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by anuprajan5 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:44 am
karthikpandian19 wrote:Gmatdriller:
i didnt understand ur 2nd approach.
S = 2Vv/(V+v)
Where is the distance taken into account in this equation?????
gmatdriller wrote:
Hi Satish,
u'll agree that 40 < s1.

will be > 40.

2nd Approach:

If S = 2Vv/(V+v)
==> 80 = 2*40*V/ (40+V)
==> 80 = 80V/(40+v)

Karthik,

You don't need the distance (as the distance is equal in both directions). Example - assume speed in one direction is a and speed in the other is b.

Speed = Distance/Time = 2d/((d/a)+(d/b)) = 2ab/(a+b)

Regards
Anup
Regards
Anup

The only lines that matter - are the ones you make!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk4sZcG ... ata_player