Verbal Preference

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Verbal Preference

by yourshail123 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:30 am
Is there any specific reason why the sections in GMAT exam are organized as AWA,IR,Quant and Verbal?
I know and understand that GMAT is not just a test of your conceptual knowledge but also a test of stress and time management. Considering these factors and as the exam progresses, obviously energy level goes down and so does the concentration level. And honestly, I feel that Verbal section requires comparatively much more concentration than any other section. So, is it also one of the factors that GMAT likes to test about test-takers as how they perform in areas, which needs more focus, and when you do not have sufficient amount of energy levels ?
Certainly, I would prefer to have Verbal section before the Quant.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:10 am
Don't sweat the stuff out of your control! Not much you can do about this so just practice as is...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by yourshail123 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:24 pm
Yeah, I know there is nothing I can do about it. Just curious to know how GMAT test makers make it.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:59 pm
I will be interested in the Official GMAT reply!!

I have to agree with you. I am stronger in verbal and I am sure glad to have that as the last part of the test. By then I have the quantitative section over, which is always a relief.

I agree with you that being tired can make it more difficult for you continue to concentrate and that it is probably more difficult for a person to do their weaker section last.

But look at it this way, something has to be last! And whatever is last has to be someone's weaker area.

With that said I am interested in learning from GMAC if there is an official reason why Verbal is last.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by yourshail123 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:55 am
Considering your statement "something has to be last! And whatever is last has to be someone's weaker area.", can't it be left to the test taker as how they want to approach the exam. Giving test taker the preference to go for their preferable section first would certainly bring out the best out of them.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:41 pm
Great point!

I love that idea. Personally, I think I would save the AWA for last. Like I said it will be interesting to see what GMAC says about why things are the way that they are.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by yourshail123 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 pm
Rebecca,
I am eagerly waiting for your response on this question. :) I guess David too. :)
Thank You!!

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:53 am
Great discussion, all!

When the GMAT exam was administered via paper test, the questions were interspersed throughout the exam. The structure of the test changed in 1997 when the GMAT transitioned from a paper and pencil test to a computer adaptive test. The computer adaptive nature of the test allowed us to reduce the number of questions on the test (which was beneficial to test takers) while preserving, even enhancing the score precision. This change also allowed us to divide the test into the subsections you see today.

When we launched the new version of the test this past June, we preserved the structure by adding a new IR section in the place of one of the AWA essays.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!