GMAT 740 (Q 48, V 42) - a road from 480 to 740 in 1,5 months

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:8 members
Hello

After a successful GMAT Test Day I wanted to drop a few lines that you might find useful in your preps. I need to add a word of gratitude to BTG for the priceless resources that you provide here :) They were a big help for me!

I am neither a native speaker nor a math kind of mind, so preparing for the GMAT was quite a challenge for me. Though my work requires analysing different data and pieces of information, I am not used to math concepts tested in the exam, so I needed to work really hard to achieve my minimum goal - 700. As you can see, I scored more than I expected :)

Here are some tips that might help you in your trip to your dream GMAT score

1. Start with GMAT Prep exam. I think that is the best thing to do before you open any guide or OG. It sets your preparation in a precise direction, gives you the first feedback on your performance and assures you of your strengths. From my initial 480 I knew that math is my primary focus, verbal is to be set aside for a while. I checked my score almost obssesively each weekend.

2. Remind of exams you have taken so far to find the best way of preparations. It's not your first exam ever. It's not your tenth exam ever. I guess you have passed at least a couple of dozens of exams in your life. Surely, GMAT is a special one, something that you'd probably never encountered before. But you have prepared for each and every exam that you have taken (at least you should have ;)). Try to remind of whatever suited your preparations. Do you like to study in the evening? You tend to focus better in the morning? Liked listening to radio whenever you did your math? Try to adjust your study conditions to your preferences. This is important, because you can achieve better or worse scores depending on different factors like the time of the exam, weather, time of your sleep or time since you last ate. That should help you take the full advantage of time you spend studying.

The reason I mention this is because many people try to study as hard as they can, and end up with many pages flipped but no knowledge in their heads. Such work is not efficient and is simply a waste of time. Therefore you should get to know you and arrange a study surroundings in a way you feel comfortable. Moreover, you should adjust. If you feel tired - give yourself a day off. If you feel you can do more - feel free to do so.

3. If you pursue a 700+ score - solve 700+ problems. This is something that many have mentioned before me. I repeat it because it was something that was not that obvious for me in the beginning. After a week or two of my preparations my score was around 640. I was still struggling with math and my verbal was rather weak. I had no idea what to do. Then I read a couple of success stories, such as the one you are currently reading. The best advice was to seek for 700+ problems and focus on them. After all you need to be good in solving them if you want to be awarded with 700+ score :) From week 3 I did most of the problems that were tough. What I noticed was the fact that those 600-700 ones became much easier.

4. Don't forget the basics. Of course you need to remember that you cannot tackle the tough problems without good foundations. I had to review almost all the math concepts, something that I have not done for a couple of years. When I was solving 700+ problems, I had to go back to the basics several times to get familiar with them, to be confident in using them. Without doing that it would be utterly impossible to understand the concept behind the problem. You have an average of 2 minutes to solve each problem in math part of GMAT so you need to have strong basics.

5. Develop your strategy. Many strategies have been described here, in different books, reviews and guides. Try different ones, check which suits you best. For instance in quant I would not "leave" a problem after two minutes if I knew how to solve it. Of course I did not want to take 10 minutes to get the right answer, but I found that I am able to catch up with the time when a question took me a bit more. My strategy was something that is not adviced in most of guides I have read. Of course, it suited me, but it might not be the best for you.

6. Check different sources for knowledge. OG is a GMAT bible, that's for sure. But there are several GREAT official and unofficial guides to different sections of GMAT. Make use of them. They help to understand the exam structure, specifics of each type of questions and proper strategies to solve them.

7. Make your exam as comfortable for you as possible. I encountered many discussions on eating vs not eating during the exam. Every participant had his or her thoughts on that specific part and all of them were right. I have an ultimate answer for you on that part - do whatever fits you :). I was so nervous that I was not able to eat anything. But I had something with me so that I was prepared for any situation.

Making your exam comfortable has another aspect - be prepared for different situations. I was not fully aware that I would not be able to eat anything, but I was prepared on both situations. I arranged my trip to the test center in such a way that I was completely sure I could make it on time. The exam is stressful enough. Don't add additional, unnecessary stress factors - it could ruin your day.

8. Don't waste time on analyzing things other than the problem you need to face. You need to be focused all the time. So don't think about whether the task is tough or not - just try to do it. Don't analyze your performance. It's irrelevant to the question you need to face right now. Stop thinking about the dinner, the evening before you, last day at work, your surroundings. If you start thinking about things other than the exam, you loose focus. And when you loose focus, you loose points.

I deliberately omitted thorough descriptions of my strategies for the reasons mentioned above - they suited me, but they might not be the best for you :) The resources on Beat The GMAT! are full of great advices on that, so seek for yourself and check what is the best option for you :)

I hope these things will be a good add-on to your preparations. I tried to write on things that I have not found mentioned by others. I wish you all the best on your GMAT. I believe you will achieve your personal goal on the exam :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I will try to answer them as long as the answers comply with GMAC rules ;)

Marek

by nehas11 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:49 pm
hey congrats for gr8 score:)
can you tell me what all books you have used for quant and verbal? apart from OG

by vaibhavsharma1988 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 pm
hi..congrats for the score
You have mentioned "If you pursue a 700+ score - solve 700+ problems". Can you tell us what source did you used for 700+ problems.

by marek_sko » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 pm
nehas11 wrote:hey congrats for gr8 score:)
can you tell me what all books you have used for quant and verbal? apart from OG
Hey :)

For the Verbal part I used Princeton Verbal Workout for the GMAT from 2007. It was perfect for getting acquainted with the structure of that part and each type of questions. For more detailed strategies and sometimes to challenge those that I used in the early stages of my preps I have searched Beat the GMAT and GMAT Club. There are great stuff there, really useful resources. That apparently was sufficient for me :)

For Quant it was mostly BTG and GMATClub. Both for the basics and for more challenging problems. I have bought some local books for the basics and they were really helpful in reminding me the stuff I had forgotten since my high school, so you can consider that source of info too. Math is math regardless of the country ;)

Of course don't forget the OG :). I omitted only some RC problems because I had not enough time to do them thoroughly, but I did each question in other sections, sometimes I got back to the tougher problems to fully comprehend the way they were solved.

Good luck on your exam :)

by marek_sko » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:51 pm
vaibhavsharma1988 wrote:hi..congrats for the score
You have mentioned "If you pursue a 700+ score - solve 700+ problems". Can you tell us what source did you used for 700+ problems.
Hi there :)

I have searched the web for some math problems relevant to GMAT, but sometimes they seemed out of scope of the exam. The best sources for that task were Beat the GMAT and GMAT Club. The problems here are sorted by the difficulty level, so you can adjust and check on what level you currently are.

Still, I have found a few of the problems a bit odd, but I tried to solve them too just for practice.

OG is not that tough in the Quant part, so you need to check other sources. I found most of the OG problems pretty easy around the middle of my preps, so I knew they were not enough for my goal.

Good luck on your exam :)

by scorpiobina » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 am
Congratulations on your achievement. I am currently preparing for my second attempt of GMAT and I also aim to break the 700 barrier. I have a specific question for you, I agree with you when you say one must prepare for the 700+ range of questions in order to be able to encounter them with ease. But how do I find the relevant material for the 700+ range of questions could you kindly suggest some material that you found valuable?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by pritish2301 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:21 am
Congratulations. Very inspiring!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 am
Quite a nice story. Impressive improvement. Congrats!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:48 am
Wow, a 260-point increase!
Awesome advice too.

This will now be the thread I refer to students who are questioning whether a significant score increase is achievable.

Great work!

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by kbnaperville » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 am
Congratulations on your score....and your strategy. I also need to break the 700 barrier (720?) and with the Veritas Prep class I recently won during BTG class recently I really feel it is possible. We are at the halfway mark in the test prep and I finally am starting to think like the testmaker. It is NOT a test of what you know....it is about creating the right model and do you have enough information for a decision. NOT about the 'calculations' .

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sachinsonu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 am
Congrats for the great score !! can you tell me how to tackle sentence correction. I am following Manhattan SC guide but I am still bad at SC part. Also please let me know what types of Quanta questions you encountered in real GMAT?

regds
sachin

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by adthedaddy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 am
Congrats dear... Even I am working on a similar target as yours. Your journey inspires me a lot. Thanks a ton for sharing your experience. Wish you all the best :-)
Last edited by adthedaddy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary" - Steve Jobs

by kamleshghag » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 pm
Simply Great !! Congrats.
marekskom wrote:Hello

After a successful GMAT Test Day I wanted to drop a few lines that you might find useful in your preps. I need to add a word of gratitude to BTG for the priceless resources that you provide here :) They were a big help for me!

I am neither a native speaker nor a math kind of mind, so preparing for the GMAT was quite a challenge for me. Though my work requires analysing different data and pieces of information, I am not used to math concepts tested in the exam, so I needed to work really hard to achieve my minimum goal - 700. As you can see, I scored more than I expected :)

Here are some tips that might help you in your trip to your dream GMAT score

1. Start with GMAT Prep exam. I think that is the best thing to do before you open any guide or OG. It sets your preparation in a precise direction, gives you the first feedback on your performance and assures you of your strengths. From my initial 480 I knew that math is my primary focus, verbal is to be set aside for a while. I checked my score almost obssesively each weekend.

2. Remind of exams you have taken so far to find the best way of preparations. It's not your first exam ever. It's not your tenth exam ever. I guess you have passed at least a couple of dozens of exams in your life. Surely, GMAT is a special one, something that you'd probably never encountered before. But you have prepared for each and every exam that you have taken (at least you should have ;)). Try to remind of whatever suited your preparations. Do you like to study in the evening? You tend to focus better in the morning? Liked listening to radio whenever you did your math? Try to adjust your study conditions to your preferences. This is important, because you can achieve better or worse scores depending on different factors like the time of the exam, weather, time of your sleep or time since you last ate. That should help you take the full advantage of time you spend studying.

The reason I mention this is because many people try to study as hard as they can, and end up with many pages flipped but no knowledge in their heads. Such work is not efficient and is simply a waste of time. Therefore you should get to know you and arrange a study surroundings in a way you feel comfortable. Moreover, you should adjust. If you feel tired - give yourself a day off. If you feel you can do more - feel free to do so.

3. If you pursue a 700+ score - solve 700+ problems. This is something that many have mentioned before me. I repeat it because it was something that was not that obvious for me in the beginning. After a week or two of my preparations my score was around 640. I was still struggling with math and my verbal was rather weak. I had no idea what to do. Then I read a couple of success stories, such as the one you are currently reading. The best advice was to seek for 700+ problems and focus on them. After all you need to be good in solving them if you want to be awarded with 700+ score :) From week 3 I did most of the problems that were tough. What I noticed was the fact that those 600-700 ones became much easier.

4. Don't forget the basics. Of course you need to remember that you cannot tackle the tough problems without good foundations. I had to review almost all the math concepts, something that I have not done for a couple of years. When I was solving 700+ problems, I had to go back to the basics several times to get familiar with them, to be confident in using them. Without doing that it would be utterly impossible to understand the concept behind the problem. You have an average of 2 minutes to solve each problem in math part of GMAT so you need to have strong basics.

5. Develop your strategy. Many strategies have been described here, in different books, reviews and guides. Try different ones, check which suits you best. For instance in quant I would not "leave" a problem after two minutes if I knew how to solve it. Of course I did not want to take 10 minutes to get the right answer, but I found that I am able to catch up with the time when a question took me a bit more. My strategy was something that is not adviced in most of guides I have read. Of course, it suited me, but it might not be the best for you.

6. Check different sources for knowledge. OG is a GMAT bible, that's for sure. But there are several GREAT official and unofficial guides to different sections of GMAT. Make use of them. They help to understand the exam structure, specifics of each type of questions and proper strategies to solve them.

7. Make your exam as comfortable for you as possible. I encountered many discussions on eating vs not eating during the exam. Every participant had his or her thoughts on that specific part and all of them were right. I have an ultimate answer for you on that part - do whatever fits you :). I was so nervous that I was not able to eat anything. But I had something with me so that I was prepared for any situation.

Making your exam comfortable has another aspect - be prepared for different situations. I was not fully aware that I would not be able to eat anything, but I was prepared on both situations. I arranged my trip to the test center in such a way that I was completely sure I could make it on time. The exam is stressful enough. Don't add additional, unnecessary stress factors - it could ruin your day.

8. Don't waste time on analyzing things other than the problem you need to face. You need to be focused all the time. So don't think about whether the task is tough or not - just try to do it. Don't analyze your performance. It's irrelevant to the question you need to face right now. Stop thinking about the dinner, the evening before you, last day at work, your surroundings. If you start thinking about things other than the exam, you loose focus. And when you loose focus, you loose points.

I deliberately omitted thorough descriptions of my strategies for the reasons mentioned above - they suited me, but they might not be the best for you :) The resources on Beat The GMAT! are full of great advices on that, so seek for yourself and check what is the best option for you :)

I hope these things will be a good add-on to your preparations. I tried to write on things that I have not found mentioned by others. I wish you all the best on your GMAT. I believe you will achieve your personal goal on the exam :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I will try to answer them as long as the answers comply with GMAC rules ;)

Marek

by marek_sko » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:27 am
kbnaperville wrote:Congratulations on your score....and your strategy. I also need to break the 700 barrier (720?) and with the Veritas Prep class I recently won during BTG class recently I really feel it is possible. We are at the halfway mark in the test prep and I finally am starting to think like the testmaker. It is NOT a test of what you know....it is about creating the right model and do you have enough information for a decision. NOT about the 'calculations' .
Perfectly said! :)

Followed by:8 members

by marekskom » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:58 am
sachinsonu wrote:Congrats for the great score !! can you tell me how to tackle sentence correction. I am following Manhattan SC guide but I am still bad at SC part. Also please let me know what types of Quanta questions you encountered in real GMAT?

regds
sachin
Thank you :)

In case of SC, I had no particular strategy. I read a couple of guides with precise directions on different aspects of SC and solved a lot of SC problems. I tried to focus on differences between the answers so I could quickly find what to focus on. Sometimes it helped me filter out the wrong ones. It was quite efficient.

Frankly speaking, I don't remember the questions from Quant :) I tried to recall them from my memory but I guess I have pressed it out of my brain right after I left the exam room :)