GMAT vs Career

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

GMAT vs Career

by durgesh79 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:56 am
May be I’m thinking too much about GMAT nowadays. During discussion with one of my friends, we came up with this interesting analogy.
In many ways GMAT is very much similar to career. Let me put my thoughts.

GMAT question = opportunities in career.
GMAT Score = success in career.

You start GMAT exam with a sample question and the next question depends on how well you answer the current one. Generally the level of difficulty keeps increasing with the right answers.
Similarly in the start of career you may start with a random opportunity, but how good or bad you perform takes you to the next level where you receive another opportunity which requires extra capability.

GMAT keeps adjusting your score based on how you answer the questions. But if you make too many mistakes early in the exam, you’ll have less chance to getting an overall good GMAT score.
If you screw up some of the good opportunities early in your career, your success rate will suffer. Finally you may get where you want to be, but it’ll take more time. (As you have to retake the GMAT)

Retaking GMAT costs time and Money. Same in case of career.

You need to have your basic concepts right, but your success will depend on how well to tackle those 4 hrs. Only getting basic concepts right won’t guaranty a 750+ scope in GMAT.
Similarly having a degree is required for a career but it won’t necessarily mean a successful career. You may have a GPA of 4 in college but in the end it all depends how well you perform in your job.

During exam, you should focus on the question which is there on your screen. If you think too much about previous questions or next questions, there are chances that you’ll get this one wrong.
In your job you need to live in present. Past and Future are not going to help.

There are breakes in GMAT exam, you’ll burn yourself if you try to take GMAT in one go, from AWA to Verbal.
You need to take regular breakes from your job.

And Last but not the least. Happiness in life = Admission in business school of your choice.

GMAT is only one of the criteria to the admission you want. The whole admission process depends on your experience, essay, college GPA and total profile.
Similarly, to be happy in life, you need family, friends, hobbies and a decent success in your career. Success in career is not everything.

Phew..... does all that make sense ...... or should i go to sleep ....

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:42 am
Excellent analogy especially latter part of the story. :)

Let me add a bit here if I know something about GMAT & life. :P :P

Your professional career starts with some random opportunity & depends on your performance you get promoted/demoted or gets new challenges accordingly. This is not always true! Sometimes you get some more random opportunities that are of course irrespective of your earlier performance and your status.
In GMAT-land such situation come when you face experimental questions. They are not scored nor are they placed according to CAT algorithm. ;)

PS: I hope you knew "experimental questions" stuff. Because I learned most of the GMAT students are not aware of this. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by durgesh79 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:01 pm
aim-wsc wrote:PS: I hope you knew "experimental questions" stuff. Because I learned most of the GMAT students are not aware of this. :)
Yes i do know about those 10 -11 questions, where we provide free service to GMAC. I wonder they should pay us for it.
May be have an option of either taking or not taking "experimental questions". Those who take, will get a discount. :wink:

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:54 pm
I would say both...
makes (some) sense. but more importantly, get some sleep! ;)

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep