parallel construction SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

parallel construction SC

by schumi_gmat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:33 pm
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make

What is wrong with D?
OA B

Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha800 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:14 pm
replace lenthy phases with X and Y and we get :

.... ability of some children to distinguish X and to make Y

(B)

by schumi_gmat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:18 pm
Thanks. I got my mistake

Re: parallel construction SC

by vaishalijain7 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:29 am
schumi_gmat wrote:A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make

What is wrong with D?
OA B
I know that 'A' is wrong because of the use of 'for' after 'ability' but I don't understand why 'the result is' is incorrect in 'A' and 'as a result' is correct in 'B'.

OE says, In 'A' "The phrase 'and, the result is' introduces a new clause which indicates that children's inability to distinguish sounds enables them to make sense of speech".

please clear my doubt

by vaishalijain7 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:55 pm
can anybody please clear my doubt?

GMAT Score:740

Re: please clear my doubt

by Domnu » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:04 pm
vaishalijain7 wrote:can anybody please clear my doubt?
Sure; the reason is because a subordinate clause is needed, and in choice A, the phrase in question ends with a verb and attempts to complete the next part of the sentence.
Have you wondered how you could have found such a treasure? -T

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:33 am
Bidisha800 wrote:replace lenthy phases with X and Y and we get :

(B)
Can someone please help me in clearing the following doubts:

Doubt#1
========
Can we split the infinitive "to" with ability....Manhattan gives the idiom usage as ability to....and almost all the questions that I have seen till now use the same ability to...together...

Infact Manhattan says Ability for X to do Y...

is a wrong usage....

Doubt#2
========
Doesn't GMAT like the idiom as

distinguish between A and B ?

i.e. should the usage be like:

to distinguish "between" discrete sounds and words

instead of : "to distinguish discrete sounds and words"

Manhattan 4th Edition clearly say on page#152 that distinguish X and Y is a wrong usage.....

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

Re: parallel construction SC

by rahulg83 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:17 pm
schumi_gmat wrote:A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

What is wrong with D?
OA B
B is perfectly parallel
pace hampers the ability...to distinguish....to make...

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:20 pm
yes it is parallel...

but isn't it breaking the idiom rules....

Please tell what I am missing here...

Legendary Member

by rahulg83 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:22 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
Bidisha800 wrote:replace lenthy phases with X and Y and we get :

(B)
Can someone please help me in clearing the following doubts:

Doubt#1
========
Can we split the infinitive "to" with ability....Manhattan gives the idiom usage as ability to....and almost all the questions that I have seen till now use the same ability to...together...

Infact Manhattan says Ability for X to do Y...

is a wrong usage....

Doubt#2
========
Doesn't GMAT like the idiom as

distinguish between A and B ?

i.e. should the usage be like:

to distinguish "between" discrete sounds and words

instead of : "to distinguish discrete sounds and words"

Manhattan 4th Edition clearly say on page#152 that distinguish X and Y is a wrong usage.....
I think 'ability for' is incorrect, but 'ability of' X to do Y is correct. Regarding the second doubt, GMAT considers only distinguish between X and Y. But in this particular question, no choice uses this idiom. But i don't think to distinguish X and Y is ungrammatical at all. It's just that GMAT considers it incorrect.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:28 pm
rahulg83 wrote: I think 'ability for' is incorrect, but 'ability of' X to do Y is correct. Regarding the second doubt, GMAT considers only distinguish between X and Y. But in this particular question, no choice uses this idiom. But i don't think to distinguish X and Y is ungrammatical at all. It's just that GMAT considers it incorrect.
Thanks Rahul. But as per Manhattan with Ability there is only one thing supported "to" :-)

And with Distinguish only one i.e. Between...

Although the option that is the correct answer is best...

But I am really puzzled whether this infact is a acceptable usage in GMAT...and needs to be kept in Mind or we can simply forget about this question...thinking that since we in anyhow had to choose best amongst the worst and this type of idioms breaking thing will not happen in real GMAT.

Legendary Member

by rahulg83 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:36 pm
exactly as you said. I don't think any unidiomatic usage as per GMAT will appear on the real test. GMAC people don't want themselves to be put into some controversy :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Onell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:
rahulg83 wrote: I think 'ability for' is incorrect, but 'ability of' X to do Y is correct. Regarding the second doubt, GMAT considers only distinguish between X and Y. But in this particular question, no choice uses this idiom. But i don't think to distinguish X and Y is ungrammatical at all. It's just that GMAT considers it incorrect.
Thanks Rahul. But as per Manhattan with Ability there is only one thing supported "to" :-)

And with Distinguish only one i.e. Between...

Although the option that is the correct answer is best...

But I am really puzzled whether this infact is a acceptable usage in GMAT...and needs to be kept in Mind or we can simply forget about this question...thinking that since we in anyhow had to choose best amongst the worst and this type of idioms breaking thing will not happen in real GMAT.
Is distinguish x and y a correct idiom? can anyone please reply why option A is correct eventhough it seems to be idimatically incorrect....

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:15 pm
Hi Onell,

If the word distinguish is used to compare two entities, i.e. point out differences between two entities, then the correct idiom is distinguish between x and y.

Colorblind people are not able to distinguish between green objects and red objects when these objects are placed in a pattern.

However, note the use of "distinguish" in the following sentence:

Excessively colorblind people cannot distinguish colors at all.

In this sentence, distinguish implies "manage to discern". (you may also check the following link from Oxford:https://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entr ... _us1241048)

Now how does one tell if its one or the other: From the context of the sentence.
Lets read the sentence:
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

The author is stating that certain activity (brisk conversational pace of life) hampers ability of children to distinguish discrete sounds and words. Now pay close attention to what the children are not able to distinguish -
DISCRETE SOUNDS - thus they are unable to tell one sounds from another. e.g. distinguish between the sounds of 't' and 'd'
WORDS - thus they are unable to tell one word from another. - e.g. distinguish between the words dad and that.

Author does not intend on saying that children cannot distinguish between discrete sounds and words. The author does not state a comparison here.

To summarize, understand the intended meaning of the sentence. Whenever distinguish is used for comparison between two entities, distinguish between x and y is the correct usage. Whenever it is used to state the meaning "to discern", use it as a stand alone word. Once again, understand what the author of the sentence is trying to communicate.

Thanks,

Payal

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by roshnipat1610 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 am
Awesome explanation, Payal!! Thanks for pointing out the subtle difference.