Do unscored items impact the difficulty of subsequent items?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770
Hey!

Sorry if you have answered this before but I just want to be clear -- unscored items do not impact the difficulty level of future questions, correct? In other words if I get an "experimental" question correct not only does it not impact my score, but it also does not lead to my getting more difficult questions that do count.

Thanks!

David
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:02 pm
Hello, David. Sorry about the delay in reply. You are correct: While unscored items cannot be skipped, they do not affect your score or subsequent questions. Thanks!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:20 pm
Do you happen to know how much uncertainty or variability these unscored items add?

I mean obviously you want to have lots of your mistakes be on questions that do not count...how much would that impact your score versus say getting all of the unscored ones right and having every mistake you made count against you?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course