760 with 2 Weeks of Preparation!!! + Strategy

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:28 members
Hi,

I recently gave the GMAT and scored 760 on it!! I am even more thrilled because I got this score in my first attempt and with only two weeks of preparation.

I wanted to start my preparation much earlier but I couldn't do so due to some problems. However, that did not deter me and I decided to put the meager time of two weeks to full use.

It's not that I'm trying to blow my trumpet here. This is a piece of motivation for anyone who hasn't been able to kickstart his or her preparation that GMAT can still be cracked.

The strategy to follow is to identify the different types of concepts tested, compile an exhaustive collection of rules and techniques by reading the usual books available and make sure that you are familiar with them. Learning the rules eliminates the need to practice.

I spent the entire two weeks reading and memorizing rules and by the end of two weeks I had a HUGE collection of rules and techniques on all sections.

Of course, this method is recommended only for those who, due to some extenuating circumstances, have less time on their hands.

Best of luck!

Update: 3rd October, 2012

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the overwhelming response and the many congratulations! My inbox is completely flooded!

Firstly, my scores:

Verbal - 41(93% Percentile)
Quantitative - 50 (90% Percentile)
Analytical Writing - 5/6
IR - 6/8

I see that most of you want me to share my compiled rules. I have absolutely no issue with doing that but the problem is that I do not have them as a document. Most of them are handwritten in a notebook while some of them are in the form of highlighted text in different books. Since I've got so many requests for the rules, I've decided to compile them in a soft document. I have already started the process but it'll take me a week or two to do so. Or maybe more. So, if anyone has his or her exam coming up soon then I suggest you follow the strategy to make your own notes.

Remember that if you aim for a high score then you have to dissect each and every topic to the level that you are confident to crack almost any question that comes from it.

And the 'rules' that I'm talking about are not just a compilation of the brief theory that is usually given before the questions in various books. The solutions at the back give you much more than that.

The books I referred:

Official Guide: This book is like the bible. GMAC has very intelligently covered almost all types of questions and has given an insight into its thought process while framing questions.
Don't just read the concepts and solve the questions. Study the solutions given at the back as well. Read and re-read them. That's the real stuff. They reveal the various nuances of different types of questions.

If you have gone through each and every solution properly in the Main official guide, then you'll find the Quantitative and Verbal OG's easy and you should find only a few new type of questions. The actual level of the exam is more like these guides rather than the main one.

I'll also recommend Manhattan's books. They have a decent collection of theory as well. However, around half of the theory in them is redundant.

Basically, go for books that give detailed solutions and then use them to make your rules.

Hope this helped!

Regards,
Tushar
Last edited by tushargarg1331 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by the_silver_lining » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 am
Lucky you.. congrats.. :)
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Randy_Pausch

Don't complain; just work harder.

by asingh777 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:10 am
Congrats!!

I see where you're coming from. There was a guy where I used to work and he did pretty much the same thing like you and ended up scoring 750 in a very short while!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by geekforu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 pm
Hey,

Do you still have those set of rules with you as a document ? If yes, would you mind sharing it ?

Thanks
The battle is on !

by nehas11 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:40 am
hey..congrats....ya can u plz share ur collection of rule.

by jstbeinme » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 am
HI,

Congrats on the cracking such a good score..
Would u mind sharing the rules? if not, could you list out the books u have refered.

by imit8ionOfLife » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 am
Congrats on a successful test! Could you please forward me your rules. I missed the round 1 deadline for Wharton because of my GMAT issues. I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

by premikas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:32 am
Wow. That's amazing . Do you have a document where you've compiled the rules ?It would be great if you can share it. Thanks in advance .

by mcmc1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 am
This is something i've always wanted see! someone crack GMAT with simplest strategy! Would you share it with me? I'll be appreciate it ! Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 am
Congrats on a great result in a short period of time!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by msjugne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 am
Congrats for your achievement in short time..Could you please share some tips regarding preparation techniques..!!!

Please write me on [email protected]

Thanks in advance..!!

by swetha_dokala » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:27 am
Congrats for your score !! I have exactly 3 weeks for my GMAT ... quite nervous... :( Can you please share your notes .. Would be really helpful..

Thanks !!

by olateju » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:31 am
Congratulations on your score. Please, email me the strategy used: [email protected]

by midorisour » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:39 am
Congrats!! You can get into any b-school with that score. Would you mind sharing your rules compilation? [email protected]
:) thank you!

by arunpgk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:40 am
Congrats on your score. Could you email me your strategy and the rules summary you have compiled. This will be of great help. My email addy is [email protected]