GMAT Prep CR

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

GMAT Prep CR

by ankit0411 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 am
A manufacturer of workstations for computer-aided design seeks to increase sales to its most important corporate customers. Its strategy is to publish very low list prices for workstations in order to generate interest among the buyers for those corporations.
Which of the following, if characteristic of the marketplace, would tend to cause the manufacturer's strategy to fail?
A. The proposed list prices would seem low to a typical buyer for the manufacturer's most important corporate customers.
B. The capabilities of workstations suitable for given jobs are not significantly different among various manufacturers.
C. The manufacturer's most important corporate customers employ as buyers persons who are very knowledgeable about prices for workstations for customeraided design.
D. Customers differ significantly in the percentage of resources they can devote to computer workstations.
E. Buyers for corporations that purchase workstations for computer-aided design receive bonuses for negotiating large discounts from the list price.

Please discuss each answer choice. OA to follow after some discussion
Don't predict future , create it !

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 am
Normally lower prices would increase sales. If the plan is going to fail to increase sales, which is the point of the plan, there has to be some reason buyers won't buy because of the lower prices. Answer E tells us the reason: buyers get bonuses if they can negotiate discounts. So if the prices are really low to begin with, buyers may not be able to negotiate big discounts, and thus might not get big bonuses. That is likely to lead them to buy other computers.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

by ankit0411 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 am
Ian Stewart wrote:Normally lower prices would increase sales. If the plan is going to fail to increase sales, which is the point of the plan, there has to be some reason buyers won't buy because of the lower prices. Answer E tells us the reason: buyers get bonuses if they can negotiate discounts. So if the prices are really low to begin with, buyers may not be able to negotiate big discounts, and thus might not get big bonuses. That is likely to lead them to buy other computers.

Great explanation !

I could only arrive at E by this statement - "if characteristic of the marketplace" in the question?

Do you think this can be the reason to arrive at E by POE ?

Thanks,
Ankit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ian Stewart » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:15 am
ankit0411 wrote:
I could only arrive at E by this statement - "if characteristic of the marketplace" in the question?

I don't think that phrase alone lets you pick E, if I'm understanding your question correctly; each answer choice could be interpreted as a "characteristic of the marketplace".
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm
This is hard question. We want experts to discuss more about the process of doing this question. experts, pls, detail the process of doing this question so that we can imitate the doing process and succeed.

anyone can understand why a choice is correct. The problem is how to find the correct choices. This is key to success on CR and is why many persons get many CR questions correct.

by ankit0411 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 pm
Ian Stewart wrote:
ankit0411 wrote:

I don't think that phrase alone lets you pick E, if I'm understanding your question correctly; each answer choice could be interpreted as a "characteristic of the marketplace".
What about C ? If the buyers are too knowledgeable don't you think they would go elsewhere, and buy computers that offer a much lower price?

Thanks,
Ankit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ian Stewart » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 am
ankit0411 wrote:

What about C ? If the buyers are too knowledgeable don't you think they would go elsewhere, and buy computers that offer a much lower price?
C is required if the plan is to succeed. The buyers need to be aware of the new low prices to be enticed to buy the computers. If the buyers don't even know about prices, there's no reason to think lowering prices will change anything. So if C is true, that gives more reason to think the plan should succeed. If C instead said "the buyers have no idea what prices manufacturers charge", then C would be a great answer here.

ianstewartgmat.com