Darden Essay Question Analysis 2012-2013

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members
Like last year, Darden requires only one main essay question this year as well.

Let us take a look at the question:

Share your thought process as you encountered a challenging work situation or complex problem. How did this experience change your perspective? (500 words maximum)

1.What is the Purpose of this question?

Through this essay question Darden not only expects you to share a experience a challenging and complex work situation, but also wants you to narrate your thought process during that time , and the learning you gleaned through that experience.

2.How to brains storm ideas for this question?

You need to look for instances when things did not work the way they should have or the way you had expected them to be, or when you were facing problems keeping your team members aligned with each other or to get the desired input from them on a project. You may also reflect on times when you encountered a situation that demanded you to take immediate charge and handle it in your way, or time when you had to go over and beyond what was defined, expected or popular, or a time when you had to make an important decision without having all the information you needed.
Remember, whatever your story is, it should present you in a positive light, revealing your strengths in the areas of diplomacy, honesty, maturity, ethics, creativity and integrity. Be honest in providing details of your story, how you felt, what you did, what you said etc. These vivid details of your story would reveal your character traits.

3.How to structure this essay?

Make sure your challenge story has the following four components:

 the situation/the challenge,
 the action, (how you dealt with the situation?)
 the outcome/result, ( what happened in the end ?)
 the significance. (what lessons you learned?)

Since the second part of the essay question asks you to share how that experience changed your perspective, it is imperative that you explain at length why that experience is meaningful to you, both in terms of the challenges you overcame, the results you produced, and the lessons you learned. Also, do not forget to share your thought process throughout this challenging experience.You may also describe how you are now applying or trying to apply those lessons in similar situations at work. The key here is your essay should eventually demonstrate your growth.

In the following example, the applicant wraps up his challenge story by outlining its significance for him.

Example:

"Today I recall XXX as one of the most memorable projects. From revenue perspective, it was not the biggest project I handled. However, it was the most challenging project in terms of saving my company and above all, my own reputation in front of the mounting unforeseen challenges. The experience changed my perspective about working with big teams and taught me valuable decision -making and team-working skills that I am now practicing successfully. "
If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.
myEssayReview- A personalized and dedicated essay review service
https://myessayreview.com/
Email:[email protected]