470.... Should I jump off.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
What a disgrace. In the last 5 months I have put time, energy and money into this GMAT beast. I have witnessed my close ones suffer, my job deteriorate and my money spent and all for this GMAT. Moreover, using a private ManGMAT tutor (who I have to say did help, yet expensive) and still this is what I have to show for, a measly 470. What a disgrace! Flying over to another city to take the exam did not help either, to think the time and effort for THIS! 470.

Sorry, I had to poor it out. I have taken some solace in reading other low scores on the forum but what do I do now? I have three Schools (LBS, Standford and IESE) just each waiting for me to give them a 660+ (I have got a solid background and work experience) but this is what I have, a lonely 470.

Q33,V22. I completely underestimated verbal. Left studying for it far to late. I thought it would have been a ´breeze´ but instead I got totally blown away. I was soooo nervous, I do remember sweating profuesly all the way up until l finished my Quants. When I realized towards the end of Quants that the questions were too easy, I knew then that I could not have done well so I began to relax a little. Another big blunder, this lead me to my poor score on Verbal. But I was not going to score above V35 anyway. The highest I got on practice test was a V31.

Where am I going with all this? Well, I do know that I have to spend less time now on the GMAT. I have too much workload on my plate within the next few weeks. However, I will be able to spend 2 hours a day during the week and about 8 hours on the weekends which I think is quite normal for most of you.

I used the OG11, did nearly all the questions there and all the MANGMAT books. On the GMAT prep I got 460, 600, 580. so I thought I could have at least got a 600?

Well, there is much to do. I will have to start again and hone in on my weaknesses. The real thing, is much harder than the GMATPREP by far... Surprising, Percents and XY Planes are clearly my weaknesses. In the real Test I am certain I got at least 6 Percents and 4 XY plane questions. I am sure this CAT test is designed to find your weakness and exploit them. What a monster. Well I guess its fair game. Still got to push it through to get that 660+...

Your 2 cents on what to do now will help a lot. Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by medea66 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:57 am
I definitely know how you feel. You should read my disgraced post about being beaten up and bruised. I have a chance to attend an IVY b/c I have solid work skills and stellar activities. The GMAT filth is the only thing holding me back. When people find out that I did not do so well, they think I prob. made it to the mid-500 level. However, I didn't even make it that far..........a 370 is what I got after 5 months of studying (2months prep w/ a Kaplan course) and about 6 CAT exams. I thought my score got mixed with someone else because in my case the 3 should NOT belong in the hundreds digit. I graduated at the top of my class as un undergrad w/ a 3.8GPA. I don't know what happened. Not sure what to do next.

by mbadrew » Wed May 28, 2008 1:39 pm
Just take a deep breath and start over again. Try using target review, and by that I mean review only what's necessary and what you consider as you weakness. Focus more on the logic of the sentence and then choose the appropriate answer.

It seems like you've done everything right to prepare yourself but you may have not prepared to relax during the test. Visualize taking the test prior to re-attempting. I think that'll help.

Drew

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uzoik » Wed May 28, 2008 11:48 pm
@ medea66. Thanks a mil.

Actually, immediately after my test yesterday I got back to my hotel and went on to the forum. Your thread was the first one I read. Because of you I guess I did not do anything REALLY silly last night.

You too have some solid credentials so I am glad I can share this pain. These low scores are such a negative booster. I have no idea on what to tell one of the schools that is expecting my result this week?

Yes, I too am quite puzzled on how to formulate a new strategy. I have picked up a few scattered pointers on the forums but I think a clear 5 or 10 point plan is what I need? Ideas are very much appreciated ...

@ mbadrew

You know I cant believe how nervous I really was at the Test. Normally I am quite calm under pressure (at least I think so) but yesterday my shirt was soaking wet by the end of quants (thank goodness I was in a cubicle :)). Flying to another city definitely did not help, that was my only option. Next time I will be in familiar surroundings starting from my City to doing the test again. I did the visualisation thing and even meditated for about half an hour the morning before the test - probably, that saved me from getting a 250!

A 10 point plan from serious viewers will be much appreciated. I think I will take the test in 3 months or so. This should give me some time to beef up the Verbal and focus on my weak Quants.

Thanks for your time..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by qudo » Thu May 29, 2008 9:26 am
Uzoik,

Don't feel too bad. I can completely relate, look at my original post

https://www.beatthegmat.com/bombed-the-g ... t8577.html

I got a 460 and have followed the plan I laid out since and have gotten 670 (Manhattan practice) and 660 (GMAT prep) on my last two tests so there is hope. You just need to be determined and focus.

Best of luck to you. I'm taking the GMAT again on June 30th!

Followed by:1 members

by khurram » Thu May 29, 2008 10:09 am
good luck to you guys.

I am in the same boat.

Gmat on 24 but gmat prep I did 620 and 600.

Have been at it intense for nearly 6 mnths now. Studying 4-5 on weekdays and weekends 12 hours. But, I do not get how some people can do the quants and get those high scores.

I have a 3.72 gpa, 34 , built a company and sold it, so believe that this GMAT is what is stopping to reach my goals.

My strategy is now to retake Gmat Prep quite a few times. Eg I have taken Test 1 maths 4 times, 3 and 4 times, only one or two questions repeated. So exposed to tons of new hard questions. As you are able to solve the hard ones, as you know the solutions, the test moves to a new set of questions even harder. SO prepares one very well.

Besides, a lot of places if you google, you should find gmat based sets, with detail soutions. Use a timer to solve them to get my brain working at a certain speed.

Good luck to us all.

Khurram

Even glancing at the verbal, I can tell hardly any questions repeat.

Realize-that prep starts of with the same set 0f questions. If you get the first few hard ones right, it swithces to a second set, get those right, third set.

Or get first set all wrong-deliberately, a set of sums you have never seen before.

Have to get all the variations of each questions down.

SC - got a tutor, will see what happens.

MGMAT, PR and Kaplan-end of the day do not replicate the Gmat.

by medea66 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:05 pm
Uzoik,

Not a problem, anything to help. I def. know how it feels. I've replied so late b/c I took a couple weeks off from the GMAT. As a matter of fact, I'm contemplating on when I should start studying again. I previously took the GMAT a few years ago and scored under a 500 and this time it was under a 400. So, embarrassment is an understatement. The flip side is, its nothing to kill yourself over. I'm sure there are other things that we can amount to aside from this. However, I must admit that this is the only thing that's keeping me from pursuing an IVY education. Let's hope for the best for all of us............ :D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Hi all,

I agree with what another poster said about target review. A good way to approach studying for this test a second time is, now that you know (generally) what areas you're weakest in, to focus on those areas and practice, practice, practice! However, don't neglect everything else completely, and still keep up with the other sections as well so that you don't forget the tips/tricks/knowledge you've already amassed.

Also, for those of you who may be scoring lower on the math sections, another idea may be to take a math course at a local community college. Classes offered by test prep companies already assume a certain level of math know-how, so taking a test prep class BEFORE you're well-versed in math fundamentals may make an already difficult task even more difficult.

Finally, I always recommend my students to NOT study the day of the test. Also, try not to change your routine (for example, if you usually wake up around noon, don't wake up at the crack of dawn), since this will keep you more relaxed for the exam.

Good luck, and hope this helps!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep