How do I boost my score from here? How to break the 700 mark

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
2 months back I took my first ever CAT exam as a diagnostic test without any GMAT preparation. I scored a 530. I have been out of school for 8 years so I did expect my score to be poor.

After completing the Manhattan strategy guides over a 2 month period, I took my second Manhattan GMAT CAT. My score on the second is 600 (70%). I hoped to do much better. My verbal is 72% and Quant - 59%. I ran out of time on Quant and had to make educated/quick guesses on the last 15 questions and got most of them wrong. I ran over time on verbal as well and had to make educated guesses on the last 6 questions or so.

I want to break to 700+. What should my next step be?

What am I doing wrong? How accurate are the MGMAT scores. Is it possible for me to break the 700 mark?

Thanks a lot for the help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:38 am
Honestly your problem is the good one to have. If you are unable to finish the exam, timing can be worked on. It is those who just can't seem to put the pieces together that struggle the most. The best thing you can do is hammer home the fundamentals.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:57 am
MGMAT offers a benchmark grid for timing that I've found hugely helpful. You can see it at this link under section 4: https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/keeping-pace.cfm

The whole article is actually worth reading since it's all about time management.

Anyway, I was having a lot of timimg issues on quant, so I actually printed the grid and used it for two of my practice tests. For the official test, you should obviously memorize the benchmarks. But I've found that having that reference to make sure I'm on pace has kept me from having to race and randomly guess at the end, and in turn, getting a string of incorrect answers.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by abhi_gmat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:12 am
Hi!!
I am struggling with a score or 660 want to break the 700+ barrier, and it seems to me that whatever i do my score does not intend to rise up
Generally it lacks in verbal which is around 30 though am able to get 48-49 in math but the overall seems to hang around 660
What should i do ??