Stacy- please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Stacy- please evaluate my profile

by dan82 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:47 am
Hi Stacy,

I am trying to get into a top 5 school (preferably U of Chicago or Wharton) in order to switch careers and become a securities analyst in the financial services industry (preferably Goldman Sachs, Merrill, etc.).
I have a Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering from Iowa State U, and just completed (part-time) a Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering from Washington University in St. Louis.
Ironically, I was actually turned on to the idea of this career switch while taking two elective courses in finance during my M.S. degree. I have had a strong interest & passion for investing/finance/business that only grew when I took those electives.

I had a GPA of 3.47 in my B.S. and a GPA of 3.50 in my M.S.

So, for the past two years I have been working full-time for The Boeing Company as an Aerospace Engineer (while obtaining the M.S. degree part-time). I came to the company right out of undergrad. Specifically, I work in the advanced research & development branch of the company. Typically at this company engineers don't get a promotion to the next 'level' of engineering until they have 3-4+ years of experience. I know that I have been recommended for promotion by my manager, but due to my minimal experience I think it's somewhat unlikely I will get the promotion in this 'round'.
As for job specifics, I have been in charge of tests and certain analysis for various programs. I have organized, run, and done post-analysis work on a couple of tests here (basically going from 'start-to-finish' with the testing).

I plan on applying for Fall 07 admission to U of Chicago, Penn/Wharton, & Northwestern. By the time I am admitted (if I am admitted), I will have just over 3 years of experience. However, at the time the schools receive my application I will have just under 2.5 years of experience.

I have not yet taken the GMAT (scheduled to in mid-September '06), but have taken a few practice tests. Based on the practice tests I think I would score somewhere between 680-720. I have seen that the average GMAT scores at U of Chicago & Wharton are about 705 & 710, respectively. I have a very strong analytic background due to my engineering courses & work, but have oddly done better on the verbal section of the GMAT practice tests than I have on the quant section (in terms of estimated percentile-rank).

Other than typical 'recreational sports leagues' that I am involved in, I have also been (and am currently) involved in Habitat for Humanity as a volunteer builder. I have also volunteered as a promoter/organizer of a local canned food drive called AmeriCAN. And I have done some volunteer work (a weekend or two) with a local 'community betterment' charitable organization called Rebuilding Together, which helps to fix up the houses of residents who are unable to do so themselves. Finally, I have volunteered as an organizer/captain of a charitable organization that helps to collect school supplies & books for underprivileged children.

I was inducted into 'Sigma Gamma Tau' as an undergrad, which is the National Aerospace Engineering Honor Society.

As for other interests... I am very interested in music, beginning when I played an instrument in the band as a child. I've taught myself to play guitar, and also recently took a course in piano and have been learning to play that instrument as well. At the risk of sounding cheesy, I am a proponent of 'lifelong learning' and frequently read books to teach myself about topics that I have a strong interest in (lately, I've read several books about stocks, bonds, real estate, and investing in general).

Also, I am Caucasian and was born & raised in the United States.

What do you think about my chances for getting into a top 5 MBA program, and what things would you recommend to me in order to increase my chances of getting in? I plan on applying for Round 1 of admissions to all three schools on my list - is there a benefit to applying during Round 1 versus Round 2 or 3?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Dan

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:38 am
Hi Dan,
I believe you have a good chance at the schools you are targetting. A couple of things to think about:
1) You have quite a few extra-curricular involvements, which is great. However, quality is more importnat than quantity. My biggest piece of advice for you is to identify one area that you can really dig deeper into, perhaps tied into your personal interests (even music), and take on a bigger, broader, leadership oriented role. Go from being a "volunteer" to a board member, founder, team leader or major organizer. This is an opportunity for you to show real leadership and initiative, especially since you are not in a management role at work.
I have a number of recent posts on this topic on my blog:
https://blog.stacyblackman.com/2006/05/2 ... e-of-work/

https://blog.stacyblackman.com/2006/05/0 ... plication/

2) With regards to your interest in reading, don't feel obliged to read only business related books. Business schools want interesting people. See this book list:
https://blog.stacyblackman.com/2006/05/1 ... uals-here/

3) I think your biggest challenge will be explaining why business school makes sense after you have just invested so much time in an education in Aerospace Engineering. How in the world did you decide that you want to become a Securities Analyst? That is a huge leap. You will need to spend some time putting togethar a convincing story that outlines why this path makes sense for you and why the MBA is critical. You want to make sure you do not look like an unfocused, professional "student". Read this blog post which discusses demonstrating the need for the MBA degree.
https://blog.stacyblackman.com/2005/09/0 ... -the-need/

4) Apply in round 1 if you can. Round 2 is also fine. I would avoid round 3.
https://blog.stacyblackman.com/2005/08/16/which-round/

Good luck!
Stacy
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me