Hijab on exam day

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Hijab on exam day

by mehrabounr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am
Hello,
A friend of mine wants to take the GMAT but is worried about her hijab on test day.
Is there any regulations against it?

Is it ok to wear what she wants and cover up as long as her face is visible?(like regulations for taking a passport photo) Or wearing an outfit like what is customed in arabic countries is not acceptable and she can just wear a long shirt and a scarf to cover her hair?

Could you please answer this questions as clearly as possible?
I live in an Islamic country so I know this will be a point of concern for a lot of woman.

Thank you

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:53 pm
This is a great question. I have contacted Pearson Vue so I can give you the exact policy. I will let you know as soon as I see a response.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:46 am
I contacted Pearson Vue for you to discuss this. Below is their reply:

Religious apparel is considered articles of clothing worn as part of the doctrinal or traditional observance of the religious faith practiced by an adherent. Some examples of religious apparel include:

Habit-a garment worn by members of Christian religious orders (normally a tunic worn with a hood or veil).

Hijab-a head, face or body covering worn my Muslim women (this may range from a head covering or scarf to a full burqa covering the entire body).

Kippah (or Yarmulke)-a rounded skullcap worn by Jewish men and women.

Kufi (or Doppa)-a rounded skullcap worn by Muslim men.

Turban-a headdress consisting of a long scarf wound round the head, worn by Sikh men and women.

With the exception of some kirpans (see restrictions below), items considered religious apparel are allowed in the testing room following visual inspection by the test administrator. Visual inspection should be done by examining the item without directly touching it or the candidate and without asking the candidate to remove or unwrap it. Observe the item closely from an appropriate professional distance in order to ascertain to your own satisfaction that it is not being used to conceal notes or other prohibited materials.

It may not always be immediately clear whether an item of clothing is considered religious apparel. There may by types of religious apparel not listed above. If a candidate identifies an item of clothing as religious apparel, it is typically treated as religious apparel.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by mehrabounr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 am
Thank you so much for finding me the answer