Diver

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Diver

by imskpwr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:54 am
Because of differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they will suffer a painful condition known as the "bends."

differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they

the difference between the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they

the difference in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or he

differences in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they

the difference between the internal pressure of the human body and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or he

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kanwar86 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 pm
I will go with option E)
Regards

Kanwar

"In case my post helped, do care to thank. Happy learning :)"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nchoudhury » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 pm
E

Diver is singular so it has to agree with he. Between C and E. E uses correct comparison.

by imskpwr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:53 pm
can someone explain the differences?

Followed by:16 members

by alex.gellatly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:50 pm
imskpwr wrote:Because of differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they will suffer a painful condition known as the "bends."

differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they Singular, plural. DOES NOT MATCH

the difference between the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they Singular, plural. DOES NOT MATCH

the difference in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or he

differences in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they

the difference between the internal pressure of the human body and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or he
It comes down to C and E for reasons stated above. The reason C is incorrect is because "differences in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean" seams to suggest that the ocean has internal pressure, which of course it does not because it is not an animal...Thus, E is correct because it uses the correct comparison.

Hope this helps. If it does, take time to hit the thank icon :)
A useful website I found that has every quant OG video explanation:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/useful-websi ... tml#475231

by imskpwr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:44 am
alex.gellatly wrote:
imskpwr wrote:
It comes down to C and E for reasons stated above. The reason C is incorrect is because "differences in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean" seams to suggest that the ocean has internal pressure, which of course it does not because it is not an animal...Thus, E is correct because it uses the correct comparison.

I got C and E, and chose C.

i am Not satisfied with the answer.
you forgot to mention "ascend" and "ascends".

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:19 am
Because of differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they will suffer a painful condition known as the "bends."

A) differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they.
Diver - Singular
They - Plural

B) the difference between the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they
Diver - Singular
They - Plural

C) the difference in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or he
human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean - Not in parallel. It should either be 'the internal pressure of the human body and that of the ocean' OR 'the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's'.

D) differences in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they
Diver - Singular
They - Plural

E) the difference between the internal pressure of the human body and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or he

More here - https://www.beatthegmat.com/confused-abo ... 40616.html

Correct me if I am wrong.
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

Followed by:4 members

by ankit0411 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:13 am
imskpwr wrote:Because of differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they will suffer a painful condition known as the "bends."

differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they

the difference between the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they

IMO the answer is E . This option compares like things.
Parallelism is perfectly followed in this sentence.
Don't predict future , create it !

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by GauravSaharan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:16 am
C) is incorrect as it is not parallel. Hence, the correct answer is E).

by shekhar.kataria » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:51 pm
HI imskpwr,

i too got confused with the usage of ascend over ascends. But if you look closesly We need subjunctive for such constructions as IT IS ESSENTIAL / DEMANDED / SUGGESTED etc etc. and hense E is correct.

Also In C, parallel elements are not correct.

imskpwr wrote:
alex.gellatly wrote:
imskpwr wrote:

I got C and E, and chose C.

i am Not satisfied with the answer.
you forgot to mention "ascend" and "ascends".
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:16 pm
"a diver" will go with "he" so choices A, B and D are eliminated. the correct idiom is difference between when comparing two things. here the comparison is between internal pressure of a body and oceans. "difference between Internal Pressure of the human body and that of the ocean. hope it is helpful
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

by imskpwr » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:37 pm
I just rejected "ascend" as "will" was used in the // construction.
I think "would" is correct if "subjunctive" is required.
Any opinion, please.

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 am
Sentences with subjunctive mood have the following structure regardless of the subject

that + the infinitive form of the verb without 'to'.

You can not choose C because "Difference in" is the wrong idiom. you can use "will" because the two sentences are joined by "or".
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

by imskpwr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 am
sana.noor wrote:Sentences with subjunctive mood have the following structure regardless of the subject

You can not choose C because "Difference in" is the wrong idiom. you can use "will" because the two sentences are joined by "or".
isn't "would" required to show a subjunctive mood here?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 am
imskpwr wrote:
sana.noor wrote:Sentences with subjunctive mood have the following structure regardless of the subject

isn't "would" required to show a subjunctive mood here?
Hi imskpwr,

This isn't the subjunctive, it's the future conditional.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage