scoring 800

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

scoring 800

by mehrabounr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:42 am
In all GMAT materials out there, it is mentioned that about 50 out of 200,000 get a score of 800.

How does a person get 800?

I mean, it's said that the quant and verbal scoring range from 0 to 60. What is the sectional scores for someone with 800 score? IS it 60&60 so he/she has gotten 800?

I have never seen a sectional score over 51. Should i assume that it doesn't exist and 51 is the perfect score? Like, a person with 800 score has 51Q & 51 V?

Can you help me understand this? Perfect scoring in total (800) and in each sections (0-60)?

I just can't get how it works. In school and such if you answer all questions you get a full score.If not you get partial.
There's only 1 occasion that's different. The exam is so hard that noone gets all questions right. for example from 20, the top student gets 18 and the rest are below this. So the teacher or professor, puts these scores on a scale. The 18 becomes the new 20(the highest achievable score)
Do you know what i mean?

Is GMAT like that? 800 is the perfect score or just the highest achievable?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 am
It's the highest achievable. The test is now officially out of 51 for each section I believe. You can get a 50 in both and get an 800.

Look at the chart in my blog: https://mbabreakaway.blocked/2012/0 ... onuts.html

You'll see that you can even get a 49 in one section and still manage an 800. Keep in mind that the chart is not 100% accurate as not all 48s are created equal. A person can possible get a 690 and someone else can have the same sub section score and get a 680 or 700. It depends, and the test makers aren't going to share their algorithms!
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 am
Hello, Mehrabounr. As you noted, scoring an 800 on the GMAT exam is quite rare, but it is achievable! There is no exact Quant and Verbal score that will guarantee an 800; as your total score will depend not just the number of questions you answered correctly, but also the difficulty level. Candidates who score an 800 on the exam will have consistently answered the most difficult level of questions correctly. They will, of course, also have very high Quant and Verbal scores as well. If you are asking if the 800 is on a curve, or relative to other test-takers, the answer to that is no. Your GMAT score is not affected by the scores of other candidates taking the exam. I hope that answers your question.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:50 am
machichi wrote:It's the highest achievable. The test is now officially out of 51 for each section I believe. You can get a 50 in both and get an 800.

Look at the chart in my blog: https://mbabreakaway.blocked/2012/0 ... onuts.html
machichi, where is that table from? I ask because it does not match up well at all with data I've collected from real GMAT score reports. I'm almost entirely sure most of the score combinations that table suggests should give an 800 score will never produce an 800 score on the actual GMAT (I know of test takers with Q50/V51 and Q51/V50 splits, and they've all gotten 790 scores).
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:52 pm
it was compiled here on the gmatclub site: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-scores-83890.html

The thing to keep in mind, like I said above, is that someone with my score (Q 48, V 42) could, for example, get a 730 or a 720 or a 710 or a 740. It depends on other computations that obviously GMAC will never release.

I don't have any data on 800 scores, so you could email the poster to have him update it based on your experiences!
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 pm
machichi wrote:it was compiled here on the gmatclub site: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-scores-83890.html

The thing to keep in mind, like I said above, is that someone with my score (Q 48, V 42) could, for example, get a 730 or a 720 or a 710 or a 740. It depends on other computations that obviously GMAC will never release.

I don't have any data on 800 scores, so you could email the poster to have him update it based on your experiences!
That table was first posted in this thread:

www.beatthegmat.com/conversion-of-q-and ... 67901.html

and if you read that thread, the person who made the table concedes that it isn't reliable for extreme scores. So one shouldn't draw conclusions from that table about what score combinations produce an 800 result. In fact, I've never seen any score combination besides Q51/V51 produce an 800 score, and I've even read one debrief from a test taker with a Q51/V51 breakdown and a 790 overall score (if you just google those numbers, you'll find it too). I'd be very surprised if it were possible to get an 800 without 51 scaled scores in both sections.

And yes, it is true that identical Q/V scaled scores can produce different results out of 800, since scaled scores are rounded off to whole numbers, but the score out of 800 is derived from the scaled scores before any rounding is done, which is yet another reason why any table of the type posted above will at least sometimes be inaccurate.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com