Modern art - Master Gmat

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Modern art - Master Gmat

by vikram4689 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:00 am
Modern art challenges our understanding of art by adding a new and crucial element, the concept, to its definition. With the brazen beginnings of Marcel Duchamp, modern art began to uproot our society's limited conceptions of art and question its very nature. The difference between modern and traditional art could not be more plain. Previously, aesthetic principles and specialized artistic skill were the hallmarks of "good" artwork. Now, unlike the Old Masters, modern artists use their considerable artistic talents to beg the questions of the role of the viewer, the function of the artist in society and what can be deemed art. Some modern artists posit that any object may be considered art as long as it is presented as art. The suggestion that everyday objects or intangible ideas may be considered as artistic as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa often leads to shock, dismay and disgust. However, in eliciting those responses, modern artists achieve their intended goal: to provoke debate as to the nature of art and make the viewer expand his or her conception of art.

Robert Rauschenberg's White Paintings are a series of monochromatic works whose underlying concept exemplifies modern art. As one can expect from their name, the paintings consist of multi-paneled canvases painted white. They represent the antithesis of traditional artistic standards: their creation requires no special artistic skill and their value lies not in their appearance but in the abstract concept they invoke. The color white is the key element to the concept behind their creation. The white paint on the canvas emphasizes its flat, two-dimensional nature. Historically, painting has tried to represent three-dimensional topics on canvas, drawing attention away from the canvas and towards the topic of the painting. The White Paintings do not just acknowledge the flat surface on which they are painted, they make the canvas itself the topic of the work. By drawing attention to the canvas, Rauschenberg succeeds in giving his viewer a radically creative alternative view of art.

Which of the following can be inferred from the passage about Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa?
"¢ Leonardo da Vinci is considered an Old Master.
"¢ Viewing the Mona Lisa cannot lead to shock, dismay and disgust.
"¢ It is a work of undisputed high artistic value.
"¢ It is more artistic than everyday objects or intangible ideas.
"¢ Artists who consider everyday objects or intangible ideas to be as artistic as theMona Lisa do not appreciate its true value

[spoiler]OA:C but i think it is D as "undisputed" is strong and nowhere mentioned.
OE for D This answer choice incorrectly claims that the author implies the Mona Lisa is more artistic than everyday objects, etc. The author only reports of the suggestion and those who object it; he or she does not take sides.
OE for C The comparison made in this sentence implies that the Mona Lisa is of high artistic value, since it serves as a standard of comparison for other works of art.[/spoiler]
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ihatemaths » Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 pm
OA is right. the stance taken is not an actual stance its a suggestion .The author is trying to imply that Da vinci's painting is a benchmark. C is right

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 pm
The suggestion that everyday objects or intangible ideas may be considered as artistic as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa often leads to shock, dismay and disgust.
Words in blue are the suggestion. Arent the words in red express authors feelings. If not then whose feelings are they ?
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thomasclark » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:13 am
Option B cannot be correct, because on first paragraph "considered as artistic as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa often leads to shock, dismay and disgust" I think option c is correct

by morimonyc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:55 am
I agree with C. What precisely is the issue with A?

First, it's about LdV and not about LdV's Mona Lisa, which I understand is the main flaw.
But second, could you even argue it's "stated" that Leonardo da Vinci is considered an Old Master and not "implied"?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 am
Answer A does not answer the question asked. The question concerns Mona Lisa and not the author of the painting.
We do not need to bother with analyzing this answer's content since it is completely irrelevant.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

by deepikaraj » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:15 am
Option 4 compares the artistic value with everyday objects or intangible ideas with Monalisa. But the passage says that comparison leads to "leads to shock, dismay and disgust". We are seeing a strong reaction. Such a strong reaction is elicited when objects that are being compared as classes apart. From this conclusion Option C seems to be better suited than answer D.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by GaneshMalkar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:15 pm
What I inferred from the above passage is "Mona lisa's painting should not be seen in dismay, shock or disgust as this painting is everyday's object(a painting of a woman) " So I chose answer option B :(

Some modern artists posit that any object may be considered art as long as it is presented as art. The suggestion that everyday objects or intangible ideas may be considered as artistic as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa often leads to shock, dismay and disgust.
If you cant explain it simply you dont understand it well enough!!!
- Genius

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:36 pm
inference from only one sentence but not easy at all. The answer choices are close.

B also is correct because if B is not correct we can not get that the cosideration of everyday object as artistic as Mosa lead to shock.

B even is closer to the information presented in the passage than A is.

though this question is not good. it give us an typical example of inference from one sentence

I am very weak at this point. anyone has experience on this point, pls speak.