Social Life?

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Social Life?

by astepcloser » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:48 am
Hi everyone!

I am new here, and I am a senior in high school. I have been considering studying business, but don't have my mind made up completely. For anyone who is currently in school or freshly out of school..can you tell me about your social life? Did you have one or was your life consumed by school? I want a nice balance of school work and having a social life. Is this likely and easy to do while studying business?

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:02 pm
Honestly, it is up to you. My mentality was always work hard, play hard, but you can find people on any end of the spectrum. (Once you lock up a job, things tend to change a bit too...)
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by npc811 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:21 pm
I would agree, although my major was not business it was engineering I still found time to enjoy myself outside of my studies. A lot of your free time comes down to how well you manage your time to get your work done.

My 2 cents, don't pick a major based on amount of free time you may have, rather pick a major based on what you're interested in. Reason being, you will find that if the subject is something you're interested in you're more likely to study hard and make the most of your time thus having more free time.

Good luck!

by mjacobson1986 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm
Yeah, I would agree to the last two responses. While the social life in business school is awesome, it isn't really a reason to choose to pursue an MBA. I studied humanities undergrad since that was my passion. While I love business school now, I think having a major that isn't business gives me a more well rounded experience.

Followed by:1 members

by germanguy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:00 am
this is a good question. I am planning to apply for grad school next year and my ba schedule is already LOADED. Would like to hear some expert advise:D

Followed by:1 members

by germanguy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:35 am
I mean, of course we already did;) But I think it is really interesting to hear as many stories as possible:D!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 am
Social life is as important as our professional life, this is the skill to handle both aspects and give priority to that which is really important at the given time. Many people out of us behave professionally in all the situations because of this burden. Don't be confuse just manage your work and time with important priorities.

by vinash » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:04 pm
very good question, my mba will be compeleted next year 2013, and i want to do distance MBA in HR, what you think with this idea, because i am also looking for part time job also..
www.ipsmeerut.com/mba.php | PhD Admission 2013| MPhil Admission 2013 | www.markyourcorp.in

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:47 pm
Some more thoughts...
Academics, Social or Recruiting? Pick two.
You might have thought your two years of business school would be a breeze. It would be a good break from the working world, a chance to recharge your batteries. You think about being back on a college campus again. You think about finally being a college student with some money in your pocket. You might even see current business school students sharing pictures on their Instagram of a recent spring break vacation or ski trip. What fun you might think! Well, we've got bad news for you. When it comes time to actually start going to business school, you'll be busier than you ever could have believed. You'll look longingly at the days when you had a real job and were getting paid a lot of money to reach your objectives. Now, it's all about the future returns on not only the investment of your tuition dollars, but also your time. In fact, you'll have so much that you want to do, that invariably something that is really important will have to be sacrificed.
Typically, there are three legs to the business school experience, academic, social and recruiting. And you'll probably only have the time to pick two. Let's look at each option and break them down.
On the academic side, well you are in school. You are there to learn. To become a better professional in your chosen career, so maybe it would make sense to invest a lot of time in your classes, projects and other academic work? However, many people think they are in school to get a better job, and a dirty little secret is that often recruiters don't really care about your MBA grades. Many schools don't even give out letter grades or calculate a gpa! Other schools ask you not to list it on your resume or report it to recruiters. So how important is academics to business school? It will be up to you to prioritize or not.
The recruiting side is obvious to many. Since you are paying so much for a professional degree, you better get a really great career out of it. From preparing for interviews with case prep and company research to attending all of the various networking sessions and spending time with alumni just to get your foot in the door for an interview.
Finally, there is the social aspect to business school. There will be plenty of time for happy hours, club events and free time to take vacations. But, have you ever tried to take part in a case discussion while hungover? Or tried to spend time at a recruiting event when all of your section mates are at the weekly happy hour? There will be many social opportunities and distractions during business school and you'll have to figure out how to manage many different commitments while still maintaining sight of the priorities you had before you stepped foot on campus.
At the end of the day, there is no right answer. Be true to yourself and what brought you to business school and you'll make the right decision. Just remember that you can't do everything.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!