Doubt in 2 options

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Doubt in 2 options

by anshulagarwal12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 am
Kaplan Premier SC # 17 Page 122.

In this year's negotiations, unionized workers will be fighting to improve job security in many industries, but will be seeking large wage increases in some other, as in the prospering telecommunications industry.

A. As in the prospering telecommunications industry

B. Such industries like telecommunications, which is prospering

C. As in that of the prospering telecommunications industry

D. as is the prospering telecommunications industry

E. as in an industry like telecommunications, which is prospering.

The correct answer is A, but i am confused between A & D. Kindly suggest

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:18 pm
anshulagarwal12 wrote:Kaplan Premier SC # 17 Page 122.

In this year's negotiations, unionized workers will be fighting to improve job security in many industries, but will be seeking large wage increases in some other, as in the prospering telecommunications industry.

X will be seeking large wage increases IN SOME OTHER, as IN the prospering telecommunications industry (comparison is between INDUSTRIES)

...IN A, AS IN B

In other words, the intention is to suggest that WORKERS WILL BE SEEKING WAGE INCREASE IN SOME OTHER INDUSTRIES, AS (THEY WILL BE DOING) IN TELECOME INDUSTRY.

In D, we have:

WORKERS WILL BE SEEKING WAGE INCREASE IN SOME OTHER INDUSTRIES, AS (WORKERS) IS PROSPERING TELECOME INDUSTRY

Here, we are comparing WORKERS demand for wage increase with WORKERS is industry (illogical)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:00 am

Hi anshulagarwal12,

In choice (D), the telecommunications industry is fighting to improve job security; this doesn't make sense, as the workers of that industry are fighting, but the industry as a whole is not. For that reason, (D) can be ruled out and (A) is correct!

Regards,
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

by 7777 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:38 am
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Hi anshulagarwal12,

In choice (D), the telecommunications industry is fighting to improve job security; this doesn't make sense, as the workers of that industry are fighting, but the industry as a whole is not. For that reason, (D) can be ruled out and (A) is correct!

Regards,

i don't see but(coordinating conjunction)used correctly. books say we need to have a subject in the second clause as well otherwise the sentence will be wrong.

i have doubts on the following sentences-
1.The doctor finished the shot, and then he removed the restraining wires.(does "then" along with "and" affect the second clause.is the sentence correctly written?)
2aShe could taste blood in her mouth, but could not feel the right sideof her face.
or
2bShe could taste blood in her mouth but could not feel the right side of her face.(which one of these sentences is correct? the original sentence (In this year's negotiations, unionized ......., but will be seeking large ...),i think,is like 2a,and the 2b is correct according to the books for sure.

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:16 pm
Hi 7777,

I got your private message, but I can't quite tell what you need help with; can you clarify?

Thanks!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by confuse mind » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:31 pm
7777 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Hi anshulagarwal12,

Regards,

i don't see but(coordinating conjunction)used correctly. books say we need to have a subject in the second clause as well otherwise the sentence will be wrong.

1.The doctor finished the shot, and then he removed the restraining wires.(does "then" along with "and" affect the second clause.is the sentence correctly written?)
2aShe could taste blood in her mouth, but could not feel the right sideof her face.
or
2bShe could taste blood in her mouth but could not feel the right side of her face.(which one of these sentences is correct? the original sentence (In this year's negotiations, unionized ......., but will be seeking large ...),i think,is like 2a,and the 2b is correct according to the books for sure.

In general, when 2 independent clauses are connected, you necessarily use comma in between. In case of But you use comma even if the second part is not a complete clause to show thee contrast.

Coordinating Conjunctions in general any 2 parts of the sentence. Nouns/adj/phrase/clause

by 7777 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:08 am
confuse mind wrote:
7777 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Hi anshulagarwal12,

Regards,

or

In general, when 2 independent clauses are connected, you necessarily use comma in between. In case of But you use comma even if the second part is not a complete clause to show thee contrast.

Coordinating Conjunctions in general any 2 parts of the sentence. Nouns/adj/phrase/clause

is there any other exeption too?
i want to go to placeX,BUT will go to place Z too.(I guess the sentence is properly written with the use of comma)
AB FONSY which other coordinating conjunction sometimes violate the general rule as well.

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:05 pm
Hi 7777,

I think you're right that the coordinating conjunction, not underlined, might be misused; I'll see about getting it fixed!

Eli
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage