Confusion between active and passive- Experts please help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi experts,
I recently found some SC questions in which passive construction has been discouraged, spoiling the original meaning. Here are the examples:

Although new farm subsidy legislation is presently being considered in the House of representatives,significant revision is to be expected if it is to be passed.

A) significant revision is to be expected if it is to be passed.
B) they do not expect it passing without significant revision.
C) they do not expect it passing without it being significantly revised.
D) it is not expected to be passed without being significantly revised.
E) it is not expected to pass without significant revision.

OA is E. I chose D, because the pronoun it is referring to legislation. Legislation is expected to be passed. If we use "legislation is not expected to pass", wouldn't it mean that legislation is acting as a subject and is trying to pass something else which is missing from the sentence?

The architect proposed that supplies for the new wing of the hospital, which hospital administrators hoped to open by the end of the year, will be procured from local providers.
(A) that supplies for the new wing of the hospital, which hospital administrators hoped to open by the end of the year, will be
(B) that supplies for the hospital's new wing, which hospital administrators hope to be opened by the end of the year, be
(C) that the hospital's new wing's supplies, which hospital administrators hope to be opened by year's end, might be
(D) that supplies for the new wing of the hospital, which hospital administrators hope to be open by the end of the year, were
(E) that supplies for the hospital's new wing, which hospital administrators hope to open by the end of the year, be

OA is E, but i chose B for the same reason. E would mean that hospital administrators would open the new wing(no such info is provided in original sentence). But B would mean that hospital administrators just hope that the new wing will be opened by the end of next year.

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.

a. that they believe to be capable
b. that they beleive are capable
c. they they believe will be capable
d. believe as capable
e. believed to be capable

here OA is A. I could not understand why "to be" is ok here.

Can experts please help on this? I know I have put a long query with 3 SC questions but i just want to understand the way to approach such questions. I am really looking forward to get some expert advise on this.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by adthedaddy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 am
Please post your questions individually in order to get faster response from the community members.
A group of questions posted together becomes difficult to reply at a time :-)
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary" - Steve Jobs

by vickycat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:00 am
adthedaddy wrote:Please post your questions individually in order to get faster response from the community members.
A group of questions posted together becomes difficult to reply at a time :-)
I understand that its difficult to explain many questions in one thread, but my intention was to put forward some examples. I am not necessarily looking for the explanations of individual questions, rather i am looking for the general explanation regarding the usage of "to be" construction(ie.. Passive).
I believe that [to + verb] and [to be + verb-ED] are different and can change the meaning of a statement, so how can we choose the former for the sake of conciseness(as in example 1).

can someone please consider the 3 examples above to explain [to + verb] and [to be + verb-ED] constructions ?
Let me put my questions again if it was not clear previously:

1. Although new farm subsidy legislation is presently being considered in the House of representatives, it is not expected to pass without significant revision.
Why "it is not expected to be passed without being significantly revised" is wrong here? I think this construction depicts the correct meaning (ie.. legislation is to be passed, legislation itself will not pass something)

2. The architect proposed that supplies for the hospital's new wing, which hospital administrators hope to open by the end of the year, be procured from local providers
Why "that supplies for the hospital's new wing, which hospital administrators hope to be opened by the end of the year, be" is wrong?

3. Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.
Why "to be" construction is correct here?

To be precise, is my understanding correct to think that [to be + verb-ED] construction should be preceded by the object of the verb as it would be passive construction.
Can experts please explain this using the examples I cited above or using different examples? Or Please redirect me to a thread(if it exists) which describes this?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 am
I will answer the first of your questions and maybe later I will come back to the other ones.
Consider the meaning of the verb "to pass." With reference to a bill it means "to be approved or adopted." The object i.e. to pass SOMETHING is NOT required. That's why the correct answer is E. There is no mistake in the structure of this sentence.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:59 am
i received a private message about this thread.

honestly, the best lesson here isn't what you're thinking. the best lesson here is -- stick to official problems. these problems are not good; they aren't official, and aren't written in the style of official problems. you should be wary of whatever source they came from.

* in #3, both (a) and (b) are fully correct; nothing is wrong with either of these choices.

* in #1, (a) is not strictly incorrect; it's just much wordier than the correct answer. gmac won't do that -- i.e., gmac will not provide an incorrect answer choice whose only issue is "wordiness". there may be wrong answer choices that are wordy, but those choices will also have other problems that are actually, well, problems.

--

the only problem here that genuinely tests something real is #2.
in that problem:
"...a Z that X hopes/wants TO VERB" implies that X is actually the subject of the verb (and that the verb represents something that X wants to do to Z).
e.g.,
Here are twenty books that I hope to read by the end of the year.
--> note that i am the one reading the books.

on the other hand, if you have "...a Z that X hopes/thinks/predicts VERB" -- not TO VERB -- then Z is the subject of the verb.
e.g.
Here are twenty books that I hope will be interesting.
--> here, i hope that the books will be interesting. i don't care whether i am personally interesting.

the same is true if you substitute "which" for "that".

so...
"which hospital administrators hope to be opened" --> doesn't make sense. administrators don't hope that someone will come open them.

if this sentence said "which hospital administrators hope will open..." then that part would be fine.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by vickycat » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm
many thanks Ron and Kasia....
Now i understand the construction in problem#3.
But I am still confused about the usage of [to+verb] rather than [to be + verbED], when the construction is missing the subject.
I agree that the source of problem#1 may not be reliable but i just want to understand the grammatical usage of [to+verb] and [to be + verbED].

Could you please explain this with the help of some example?

Can you provide few examples which use construction similar to "bill is expected to pass" rather than "Bill is expected to be passed"? How can we identify the construction suitable for a sentence?