48Q 44V--740! No idea how this happened...

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

48Q 44V--740! No idea how this happened...

by anktshah » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am
This is one of my first posts (and possibly my last). I just got a 740 on the GMAT and left the test center stunned.

A little background on me: I'm about to become a senior at UIUC and made a rash decision to try to get into a MS-Accounting program. So I'd fallen behind on classes and took a bunch of summer classes and so I didn't have that much time to prep for the GMAT. At the same time, I'm a full time student so I'm still very accustomed to the learning process. If I had to put a number on how much I studied I would wager around 100-120 hours.

My practice tests:
GMAT Prep: 640
MGMAT1: 620
MGMAT2: 670
MGMAT3: 680
GMAT Prep 2: 650

Looking at these scores, you're probably wondering how the hell I pulled off a 740. If you find out, let me know. My goal was obviously to break the 700 barrier, but I was so busy with other things that I just didn't have enough time to devote. Two weeks out, I had to start picking and choosing what to study. My verbal was strong, so I ignored that completely and spent any time studying on quant. I was scoring in the 50-70 percentiles for nearly all my practice tests. I went over the first half of the PS and DS problems and also did the last ~30 for each section too. I also spent a lot of time going over the questions I missed during my practice test. I didn't touch the IR section or AWA until the night before.

I obtained copies of MGMAT books, but didn't really use any of them except the number properties book. The reading was, in my opinion, dry, but helpful. I also exploited the forums on this site whenever I needed a concept/question explained. This site is really a great resource!

The test:
I thought some of the IR questions were vague (that's what I get for going in blind, though). When I'd finished quant, my confidence was obliterated. I guessed on the first question, and about 15 questions in I got a VERY easy algebra problem. During my break I did pushups in the bathroom (luckily no one walked in...awkward...) to get the blood flowing for verbal. I had to make up for my quant performance. Verbal was much easier and a lot more straightforward (I'm a native speaker). both the 48Q and 44V were the highest I'd scored on the respective sections.

That's all I can think to add. There wasn't a whole lot to my study process. Spend some time reviewing the questions you missed on the practice tests you take. I'll answer any questions if you have them.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by joshigk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 am
unbelievable experience dude !! Congratulations !!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:27 am
Who cares why/how... Congrats! Great score!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:02 am
Reading stories like this makes up for all of the ones that scare me when people are scoring in the 700s on practice tests and then bomb the real thing. Thank you!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sachinsonu » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:06 am
Hi,
Congrats for getting such a wonderful score!. I am having difficulty in Reading comprehension section, I am just get 20 to 30 % correctly each time I answer RC section, could you please guide me on this.

regds
sachin

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by urshohini » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:25 pm
anktshah wrote:you're probably wondering how the hell I pulled off a 740. If you find out, let me know.
Lolss... good one.. but seriously, this is one of the most modest posts I have read till date... and who cares how you scored so high... just focus on your applications now...!! :)
All the best dude..!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:03 am
Very nice!

Most people suffer from some sort of test anxiety that causes them to score lower than they scored in practice tests. You, on the other hand, rose to the occasion and obliterated your old scores.

Great work!

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Followed by:2 members

by ebullient » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 am
Congrats! That's awesome!!
Good luck ahead.

This post can be a ray of hope for everyone who's depressed about their Practice Tests' scores.

Don't lose hope! :)

by Bhanupriya Purushottaman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:37 pm
Can you please share how many no of questions in IR section? coz this was introduced very recently and no bluepr available....

thanks

by priyankakamra » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 am
This is truly inspiring. Congrats buddy!!!

by anktshah » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:40 pm
Sachinsonu,

Sorry, but being a native speaker I don't really have any advice for this part of the test. I typically read the entire passage carefully and made sure to understand everything. Then I read the questions and rarely had to refer back to the passage unless it asked me to explain a specific word or something like that. That was my strategy, I'm not sure how well it will work for you though :/

Bhanupriya,

You can definitely find information on the IR section on this website or even just by googling it. I read an article saying that MBA admissions committees wouldn't be putting very much weight into it this year because they have no precedent upon which to base it on. I wouldn't stress about it too much. Definitely do more preparation than I did though! Familiarize yourself with the question types and become comfortable with the interface (for example, there is a calculator you get to use in this section).

Sorry for the late responses, I just remembered to look for responses now! Also thanks for the support everyone! Get it

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shreerajp99 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:18 pm
Hey congrats,thats a great score!!
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Do u think the level of difficulty was the same as that of gmatprep exam?

Thanks,
Shreeraj