Data Sufficiency

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Data Sufficiency

by AndreiB » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:03 pm
I have recently finished going through the Kaplan Math Workbook and took a GMAT Prep Test. I noticed a worrying trend. I underperform massively in Data Sufficiency Questions. I got an overall score of 640 in the GMAT Prep Test and I must say that out of the 13 questions I answered wrong on quant, or something like that, 80% were Data Sufficiency Types. Moreover, I did extremely poor in the Data Sufficiency type of questions in the Kaplan Math Workbook. Has anyone got any advises for increasing my performance in Data Sufficiency?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:25 pm
AndreiB wrote:I have recently finished going through the Kaplan Math Workbook and took a GMAT Prep Test. I noticed a worrying trend. I underperform massively in Data Sufficiency Questions. I got an overall score of 640 in the GMAT Prep Test and I must say that out of the 13 questions I answered wrong on quant, or something like that, 80% were Data Sufficiency Types. Moreover, I did extremely poor in the Data Sufficiency type of questions in the Kaplan Math Workbook. Has anyone got any advises for increasing my performance in Data Sufficiency?
Everyone struggles with Data Sufficiency questions at first.

Think of it this way: Most people have had years and years of experience answering multiple-choice math questions, but they typically spend a month or two answering Data Sufficiency questions. You have to allow yourself sufficient time to prepare for these questions. This means immersing yourself in these questions so that they become second nature.

If you're interested, our company has a free set of videos that cover every aspect of Data Sufficiency: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:50 pm
AndreiB wrote:I have recently finished going through the Kaplan Math Workbook and took a GMAT Prep Test. I noticed a worrying trend. I underperform massively in Data Sufficiency Questions. I got an overall score of 640 in the GMAT Prep Test and I must say that out of the 13 questions I answered wrong on quant, or something like that, 80% were Data Sufficiency Types. Moreover, I did extremely poor in the Data Sufficiency type of questions in the Kaplan Math Workbook. Has anyone got any advises for increasing my performance in Data Sufficiency?
Hi Andrei,

You're worried, but this is actually a GOOD sign. Because if 80% of your errors are DS, you're doing very well on Problem Solving--and if you know enough math to do well on problem solving, then once you've got the DS method down, you'll be golden!

There are plenty of free resources demystifying Data Sufficiency--for instance, Kaplan's free sample class includes a DS portion.

If you're interested in a further commitment, Kaplan offers a Data-Sufficiency-specific On-demand course specifically designed for students in your situation. It covers everything about the question stem from the groung up.

Let me know how else I can help, and good luck!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by AndreiB » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:48 am
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Andrei,

You're worried, but this is actually a GOOD sign. Because if 80% of your errors are DS, you're doing very well on Problem Solving--and if you know enough math to do well on problem solving, then once you've got the DS method down, you'll be golden!

There are plenty of free resources demystifying Data Sufficiency--for instance, Kaplan's free sample class includes a DS portion.

If you're interested in a further commitment, Kaplan offers a Data-Sufficiency-specific On-demand course specifically designed for students in your situation. It covers everything about the question stem from the groung up.

Let me know how else I can help, and good luck!
Hi Eli,

Thank you for your prompt answer. That is actually the case. I perfom really well in PS and I have actually measured my progress in PS and unless I do some overconfident or misinterpretation mistakes, I naturally perform in the top 5% bracket. On the other hand, when it comes to DS I seem to lack that magical touch and not only do I progress slowly through the question, but I also fail most of them. From my reading, I understand that circa 1/3 of the Quant questions in the GMAT are DS type. If I do not find a resolution for my problem, I will most likely not score in the top 5-10%, as I am aiming to. Lastly, I must say that I have read and understood the Kaplan approach and still no success. What should my next steps be?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:46 am
Hi Andrei,

I'd recommend Data Sufficiency On Demand, in that case.

If you understood the Kaplan method, your score should definitely be on par with your problem solving performance. Clearly, you've put in the work towards understanding it, but for whatever reason it hasn't sunk in. That tells me that your current study style, reading methods from workbooks, isn't a good match for your learning style. Audio/visual practice like Lessons on Demand, or face-to-face learning with a tutor, will likely have better results than reading more books and doing more practice problems on your own!

Best of luck,
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage