00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights using Greentown's airport will allow the delays that are so common there to be avoided. Hevelia airstrip, 40 miles away, would, if upgraded and expanded, be an attractive alternative for fully 20 percent of the passengers using Greentown airport. Nevertheless, experts reject the claim that turning Hevelia into a full-service airport would end the chronic delays at Greentown.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the experts' position?

(A) Turning Hevelia into a full-service airport would require not only substantial construction at the airport itself, but also the construction of new access highways.

(B) A second largely undeveloped airstrip close to Greentown airport would be a more attractive alternative than Hevelia for many passengers who now use Greentown.

(C) Hevelia airstrip lies in a relatively undeveloped area but would, if it became a full-service airport, be a magnet for commerc ial and residential development.

(D) If an airplane has to wait to land, the extra jet fuel required adds significantly to the airline's costs.

(E) Several airlines use Greentown as a regional hub, so that most flights landing at Greentown have many passengers who then take different flights to reach their final destinations.

I arrived at the correct answer through the Process of elimination , but I still couldn't figure out why E is correct

[spoiler]According to E can't we deduce that there are atleast SOME airlines that do not use Greentown as a regional hub and hence if these airlines are told to use Hevelia instead of Greentown ,then the congestion in Greentown could definetly reduce right ? [/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

georgepaul0071987 wrote:Only a reduction of 10 percent in the number of scheduled flights using Greentown's airport will allow the delays that are so common there to be avoided. Hevelia airstrip, 40 miles away, would, if upgraded and expanded, be an attractive alternative for fully 20 percent of the passengers using Greentown airport. Nevertheless, experts reject the claim that turning Hevelia into a full-service airport would end the chronic delays at Greentown.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the experts' position?

(E) Several airlines use Greentown as a regional hub, so that most flights landing at Greentown have many passengers who then take different flights to reach their final destinations.

I arrived at the correct answer through the Process of elimination , but I still couldn't figure out why E is correct

According to E can't we deduce that there are atleast SOME airlines that do not use Greentown as a regional hub and hence if these airlines are told to use Hevelia instead of Greentown ,then the congestion in Greentown could definetly reduce right ?
Argument says "even if Hevelia becomes a full-service airport, Greentown will not be able to reduce delays"

Understand the Full service as the airport offering through checked bag allowance (and other services eg an allocated seat, a meal or snack included and some beverages etc). IMO Full-service does not mean that a HUB (so it means flights for many locations many not be available)

What if the passengers landing at Hevelia have other destination to travel and flights to such destinations are not available in Havelia.

In such a cases how would airlines transport their checked checked bags (for example) to Genelia? If this happens, full-service of Hevelia does not make sense for many passengers (esp who take various other flights to reach their fina destinations after landing in Hevelia)

SOME could mean <1% or 10% or 20% - this may not have any significant impact

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by nafiul9090 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

situation: there is a chronic delays in greentowns airport and only 10 percent reduction in the number of sceduled flight will allow the delays to be avoided.
the claim: upgrading and expanding hevelia airstrip may end the chronic delays at greentown airport.
expert's opinion: reject the claim
what to do: strengthening the expert's opinion

i've arrived to option E by POE

A talks about the cost of the plan. But it does not talk about the positive or negative effect of the plan. so eliminate A
option B weakens the expert's opinion. it does not matter whether it is hevelia or other airstrip it strengthens the claim. so eliminate option B
option C is out of scope. it does not affect the situation whether hevelia will be commercially and resedentially developed. eliminate option c
option c is out of scope. it talks about fuel cost, which does not affect the situation. eliminate D

please correct me if i am wrong or my process is wrong

thanks in advance

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hjafferi » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

IMO E

Only one that shows that the new airport Would not prevent delays because other airlines use green... Airport for connecting flights.

by mohan514 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

if green town is a hub ,

how does that impact the delays ,

i dont see any correlation between them..

regonal hub is concerned with passengers where as the delay is with the flights

please tell me where m wrong

GMAT Score:600

by crisro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Everybody who experience flying knows that even a single airplane passenger can cause delays sometimes, so the reasoning here is more passengers more delays.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by swathi8388 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:57 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Several could mean that maybe even 99% of the passengers are taking connecting flights via greentown and if thats the case then maybe even 1% reduction in the number of scheduled flights might be impossile,because the flight HAVE to come to greentown so that the passengers take thier next flight.