Pyramid of pharaoh menkaure

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

Pyramid of pharaoh menkaure

by sam2304 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 am
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.
(A) due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled, thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
(C) because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
(D) because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

[spoiler]I got the question right with the parallelism rule here, but I have doubt with the pronoun reference used here. The OG says 'them' in C and D is wrong while it is correct in E. How is it so ? Can anyone explain ?[/spoiler]
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:17 am
This is an example of a question where it is better to arrive at the correct answer choice by eliminating other mistakes not related to the controversial pronoun. Pronoun ambiguity is the subject with reference to which the GMAT does not demonstrate one clear stand.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by 7777 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:31 am
sam2304 wrote:In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.
(A) due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled, thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
(C) because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
(D) because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

[spoiler]I got the question right with the parallelism rule here, but I have doubt with the pronoun reference used here. The OG says 'them' in C and D is wrong while it is correct in E. How is it so ? Can anyone explain ?[/spoiler]
is the answer E?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by svd.kumar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:40 am
I think here structure of the sentence decides whether pronoun is correct or not, If two sentences are structurally parallel (subject, Object and verb) then subject and verb can be replaced with pronouns. See the difference between D and E.

Raising the Humidity between them
Had raised the humidity between them

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:41 am
7777 wrote: is the answer E?
Yes. OA : E
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/