Profile Evaluation Low GPA-I appreciate any help.

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Can you please evaluate my profile:

-29 and currently live and work in Canada
-interned with a hedgefund to start my career; however, I have almost 3 years of experience in agriculture (on a path to become a commodity trader with the top agri-business company in Canada)
-B.A. in economics from a top 20 liberal arts university in the US
-low gpa 2.7(really struggled my first two years)
-NCAA division 1 athlete (sport was played all school year)
-the team was very successful and I won a lot of individual awards
-played two years professionally after university
-diagnosed with a neurological disease my senior year (it is an incredible story about what I went through and had to overcome, went from barely being able to walk or holding a pen in class to finishing my season and never taking time off from school)
-one of two people in the world that have played professionally with this disease
-I do a lot of fundraising for my disease and have become a role model for a lot kids living with the disease
-scored a 680 on the gmat (49q 34v), I scored a 730 on the practice exam-froze up on the English section during the exam, so I know that I can do better.

Motivation to do a MBA:
-I want to be living proof to all the kids living with my disease that you can live a normal life and achieve your dreams.
-Would love to get into Finance-the market and what affects the markets drives and motivates me; however, after everything that I have had to overcome, I would be greatful for any opportunity.
-I have been through a lot in my life and will have a much different perspective than others.

If want to know anymore, please let me know; I would really appreciate an honest evaluation to what is realistic.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:12 pm
Hi gate07,

Thanks for posting. You have a very interesting candidacy and I believe there is much you could contribute to an MBA program.

Are you looking for a list of MBA programs to apply to or recommended ways to improve your candidacy?

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gate07 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 pm
Thank you for your response.

To answer your question-Im looking for both, but mainly a list of schools that are attainable because I want to start on applications as soon as possible. I realize that my GPA is low, but I have drastically altered my lifestyle since university and am more than capable excelling at whatever program that I am accepted to. Furthermore, I do have progression throughout my career so far and am expecting to move to a higher level by the end of the year. I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Thanks