What Math is this?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What Math is this?

by rc30mc40 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:57 am
Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum and any help would be much appreciated. I just took the GMAT and scored a 500. I was actually 80% in Verbal but a pathetic 20% in Math. I have taken Math review serious but really got jammed up during the exam. I am familiar with algebra/number properties/geometry/rates/percents etc but when I get to the GMAT and face these bizarre data sufficiency questions like "If A - B = C then what is A" I get so confused.

I wanted to know what is the best way to review for these types of problems??? Is there any material out there that would specifically cover and help me review for these? They seem to fall under syllogism or equality/logic and I just never even seen anything like it... Not even when I took College Algebra at University.

I ask because I have all the Kaplan Math books and only a small percentage of them are dedicated to problems like this so I don't know where to turn. Not even my math books cover stuff like this, is it really ONLY the GMAT that asks weird questions like this?

Please help,

Thanks,

RC

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:12 am
Hi RC,

Data Sufficiency is indeed unique to the GMAT!

You can learn about them from the testmaker's website, which will cover the basics. If you're looking for specific prep, Kaplan offers the Data Sufficiency On Demand course for just that reason. DS questions are often mystifying to those unfamiliar with the concept and format, so we made a course just for that!

Let me know if I can offer any more help. The Q-type is unusual, but manageable and ultimately intuitive. Keep looking at explanations in the Data Sufficiency forums here on BeatTheGMAT, and check out the official website and Kaplan's materials, and you'll be solving in no time!

Regards,

Eli
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 pm
As Eli mentioned, this DS questions are unique to the GMAT, so pretty much everyone struggles with them at first.

If you're interested, our company has a free set of videos that cover every aspect of Data Sufficiency: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rc30mc40 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:30 am
Thank you both for the information, resources and quick response. It does put me at some ease to know that these problems are unique to the GMAT.

RC