What else can I do to strengthen my MBA application?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out ways to strengthen my MBA candidacy. I plan on applying in the fall of 2013, so I have some time to rack up a few more credentials on my resume.

A brief look at my profile - 24 year old male, 3.57 GPA, 740 GMAT, graduated from a decent liberal arts school with a major in business administration.

Currently working in the performance reporting department of one of the world's top financial consulting firms. I'm involved in a few projects that, if successful, will dramatically change the way our department works (will automate all data entry, which is our most time consuming core duty). I have been promoted once and expect one or two more promotions before I apply. I currently manage one team member and will manage more members and operations as I progress.

Extra curricular - I volunteer at a suicide hotline, taking calls from people with a wide variety of issues. I might get involved with the fund raising side of operations at the hotline, and I will definitely start training new hotline listeners within 6-9 months. I will also volunteer for other leadership positions as they arise.

I'm working very hard to strengthen my work credentials and increase my involvement with the hotline. However, I feel that these won't be enough to get me into a top 10-15 school. I've been told that HBS is out of my reach, so I'm thinking of Tuck as my current reach with Darden as a more realistic option.

What are some things I can do to strengthen my candidacy? Although my background is currently finance, my post MBA goals are to work in management consulting for one of the top firms. I'm having trouble figuring out something that would mesh well with my current profile. Also, I don't want my application to be too cluttered; I'm trying to avoid a "quantity over quality" issue.

Thanks for your help!

Johnny

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:15 pm
First of all, congratulations on getting a great GMAT score. From what you have stated her, you are progressing pretty well in your career . You have not mentioned for how long you have been working for that company. You are only 24 , so I am guessing you may not be working for long.

Your participation in extra extracurricular activities is also great. So I cannot suggest anything more than that.

Please do not assume Harvard is 'out of your reach' because Harvard is not meant for super human applicants. It is for smart people like you.

Your question:What are some things I can do to strengthen my candidacy?

Answer: Get some more work experience.All top B- Schools of the US require 4-5 years of work experience.

Second, make sure your goals are ambitious as well as realistic.If your post MBA goals are to work in management consulting for one of the top firms, make sure they are built on the foundation of your past experience,present skill- set and proposed MBA.

Good that you don't want your application to be cluttered.This approach would help you be precise and articulate.

I hope it helped.
If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.
myEssayReview- A personalized and dedicated essay review service
https://myessayreview.com/
Email:[email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by paris_kennedy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 pm
You can go through to these tips for Getting to the Heart of Your M.B.A. Application.The applications are critical, so make sure you take care when writing them.

1. Set the right tone: How you communicate is often more important than what you communicate. In other words, your tone needs to be positive but not pompous; conversational but not colloquial; thoughtful but not trivial.

When commenting about yourself, keep it factual but not self aggrandizing. It should not sound as though you are congratulating yourself, or suggesting that you are superior to other applicants. When discussing your accomplishments, it is always wise to start by saying something like: "It was my privilege to..." or "I consider it an honor to have..." or "It was very exciting and yet humbling when I..." Be thoughtful in your comments. Show that you spent time working on your essays-that you really mean business.

2. Answer the questions:While there are many topics on which you could wax eloquent, stick to the topics requested for the essay question or questions. An M.B.A. applicant's credibility quickly sinks when he or she submits a lengthy essay that, while interesting, is not on point.

3. Adhere to word count: Another huge temptation for M.B.A. applicants is to exceed the word limit. This will hurt you. Admissions staff evaluate literally thousands of business school application essays. They will look negatively on an application with a 10-page essay when the length requested was 1 page. If you cannot follow directions at this point, you're likely not to get the opportunity to demonstrate you can follow directions as an M.B.A. student at that school.

4. Dot the I's and cross the T's: Check and recheck for accuracy, correct grammar and spelling. Do not obsess, but at the same time, make sure your essays are the best they can be. Have someone read them for style and accuracy. Remember: Poorly constructed essays are a kiss of death.

5. Avoid the "whoops": Believe it or not, it happens more than you think: Essays are sent to the wrong institution. It seems almost silly, but often essays meant for one program end up going to another. On many occasions I would read an essay that was prepared for, say Dartmouth College's Tuck School of Business, and mistakenly sent to me at Booth. The applicant would stress that "Tuck" was his or her "first choice." Sometimes my outwardly vocal response was a good laugh. However, my regular unspoken response was: "I hope you get into that program, because you won't get into mine."

6. Weigh the "optional" essay: Sometimes you are given an opportunity to complete an optional essay. The optional essay is typically offered for one primary reason: to give the M.B.A. applicant an opportunity to convey additional information that he or she believes will truly help make the application complete. If you believe something important has been missed, this is your opportunity to provide that information. But remember, if you are going to use this question to address a part of your application that you believe is a potential disadvantage, do not offer excuses. Instead, provide clarification.