Optional essay no longer accepted (Stanford & HBS)

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I was planning to write a wonderful 400-word optional essay addressing an unemployment gap, when I noticed that Stanford and Harvard do not accept optional essays.

Both schools have a section to include additional information, but Stanford's form explicitly states "Do not include essays", and Harvard's form is limited to 500 characters.

So it seems that optional essays are no longer accepted. What would you recommend to address my unemployment gap in the application?

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:29 pm
You can definitely explain your employment gap in the 'Additional Information' section.

Please do not get intimidated by the 500 characters. B-schools are evaluating applicants for precision and brevity. Just as you are putting in all that you need to say in two 400 words Harvard essays , you can also fit in your 'additional information' (employment gap)in 500 characters.
As for Stanford, if they don't want you to include essays, don't do that. Just include your additional information about your employment gap.

I hope it helped.
If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.
myEssayReview- A personalized and dedicated essay review service
https://myessayreview.com/
Email:[email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amit_enggvnit » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:21 pm
Hi I am also interested in Stanford GSB and recently attended the Bangalore Info Session of the school. It was a great experience and I've written about it here. Hope this helps in admissions process.

https://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in/2012/ ... iness.html
Follow my Application Journey:
amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by emmanuelle8 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:50 am
Hi there, I'm a bit confused actually with Stanford's "additional info" part -- You're right, on the app it says "Do not include essays", but if you check the website under "essays" this is what is stated:
Additional Information
If there is any other information that is critical for us to know and is not captured elsewhere, please include it. Examples of pertinent additional information include:

Extenuating circumstances affecting academic or work performance
Explanation of why you do not have a Letter of Reference from your current direct supervisor or peer
Explanation of criminal conviction, criminal charges sustained against you in a juvenile proceeding, and/or court-supervised probation
Explanation of academic suspension or expulsion
Any other information that you did not have sufficient space to complete in another section of the application (please begin the information in the appropriate section)
Additional work experience that cannot fit into the space provided
Additional information about your academic experience (e.g., independent research) not noted elsewhere

Strange for the adcom to include this under "essays" when it shouldn't be an essay? I think maybe they are thinking that don't include random essays just adding more accomplishments, etc. if they won't adress any of the stuff above?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by olimpic » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:35 am
I guess they just got tired of reading so many essays, that's why they also cut the number of essays and word limits. My suggestions is to follow the rules and use the optional essay only for explaining special circumstances.