Beause Vs since Vs owing to

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

Beause Vs since Vs owing to

by sulabh » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:36 am
Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.
A. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for
B. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of
C. owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of
D. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for
E. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of

Followed by:1 members

by anju » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:37 pm
My choice is C.

The underlined sentence requires another verb - verb which depicts that the action had already been performed - ... volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to ...

What's the OA?

by gmatinjuly » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:31 am
Is the OA E ....

Below is my explaination

" Since " already means something in past...
Idiom should be "within reach of "

I tried reading sentence this way and it made sense to me..

since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of anybody with a pan or shovel, prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task

Can anyone tell whast OA ...

GMAT Score:710

by airan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:18 am
OA is E.

Btw, request to all the boarders to underline the part of the sentence to be corrected. !!!
Thanks
Airan

by sulabh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:42 am
But in shouldn't the answer be B as it correctly states that 'erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity' thrusted the riverbed.Also it uses 'had' which i think is required here.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:48 am
Point 1: We need PUT not PUTTING in the underlined part

this leaves us with A and E

Point 2: We need because or since in the beginning of the underlined part and hence A is out

leaves us with E

Though E is not very convincing either as its not clear if the gold rush happened first of the erosion etc hence a more appropriate use would have been "HAD PUT"

by sulabh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 am
why do we need PUT instead of PUTTTING ?

????

by senthil » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:02 pm
I eliminated option based on the below list

reach for ,reach of
reach of is corrrect idiom.

But I was expecting the sentence should start with because of or owing to . coz 'since ' is used in reference to time ...

And moreover why put ? and not putting ?

PLease stalwarts elucidate

Senthil

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 pm
I agree with Senthil, I narrowed down to A and C and finally to C, because of the usage of had in the sentence.

GMAT Gurus, Please help.

-Thanks in Advance
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Proleefeek111 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:03 am
navami wrote:I agree with Senthil, I narrowed down to A and C and finally to C, because of the usage of had in the sentence.

GMAT Gurus, Please help.

-Thanks in Advance
A fellow Aspirant here,

Plugging in C into the original sentence to test it.

Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task,owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of anybody with a pan or shovel.

'had thrust' - This is a perfect candidate for Past Perfect tense because prehistoric volcanic activity had obviously preceeded the California Gold rush.

Putting is ||el with Prospecting, hence Okay.

Within reach Of is a correct Idiomatic construction.

The commas are placed according to correct rules.

Hence C.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 am
Proleefeek111 wrote:
navami wrote:I agree with Senthil, I narrowed down to A and C and finally to C, because of the usage of had in the sentence.

GMAT Gurus, Please help.

-Thanks in Advance
A fellow Aspirant here,

Plugging in C into the original sentence to test it.

Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task,owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of anybody with a pan or shovel.

'had thrust' - This is a perfect candidate for Past Perfect tense because prehistoric volcanic activity had obviously preceeded the California Gold rush.

Putting is ||el with Prospecting, hence Okay.

Within reach Of is a correct Idiomatic construction.

The commas are placed according to correct rules.

Hence C.
But unfortunately the post says that OA is E...
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Proleefeek111 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:22 am
navami wrote: But unfortunately the post says that OA is E...
Hmm... Strange one then. Rarely do we see GMAT having the Passive voice as the correct OA. Anybody know the source of this one?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by praveen892000 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:14 am
Can someone please clarify why since is chosen over because and owing to? The usage of 'Since' is TIME specific. Please help.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by 7777 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:42 am
sulabh wrote:Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.
A. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for
B. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of
C. owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of
D. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for
E. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of
all the choices are wrong except e.

A. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for(because of X put gold literally...) incorrect..grammatically correct but still a suspect form is( because of x,which put gold....)eliminate this choice.

B. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of(again an idiomatic error..because of X,and putting...)("putting gold....." is not a clause)

C. owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of(error similar to the above error.(owing to x,and putting...)("putting ...." not a clause)

D. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for (the bolded portion is not correct ,it is not a clause and therefore "putting gold..." doesnt modify it correctly)

,verbing can modify a clause.doesnt fit here.
erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface
in every sentence treat the above statement as x and you will see the errors clearly.