Suggestions for me(?) and a word of advice 4 Non-IIT Engg

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
You may have read many 700 plus stories but this is not about 700 :-(
This is about 640 (Q47, V31) and wasted efforts of 5 months of rigorous study :-(
I (an Indian, non native so verbal is my weakness) have started preparing in March 2012 and started with a GMATPrep1 of 540.
I studied regularly 2 hours in weekdays and 6-8 hours in weekend.
In the last leg of the study (May, June, and July) this study time increased to 4-5 hours in weekdays and 8-10 hours in weekends.

Study Material Used:
Quant:
MGMAT Quant Books
MGMAT Advance Quant Strategy Guide
GMATClub Tests (Now, i know these tests are closet to the real Quant)
MGMAT Tests

Verbal
MGMAT SC/RC/CR guides (4th Edition)
MGMAT Verbal Foundation
Powerscore LR Bible
MGMAT LSAT CR Guide
MGMAT LSAT RC Guide

Following are my Mock Test Results:

GMATPrep 2 (AWA + IR) 710 (06th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)
GMATPrep 1 (AWA + IR) 710 (22nd July)
MGMAT CAT 2 (AWA + IR) 680 (1st July)
MGMAT CAT 1 (AWA + IR) 680 (24th June)
MGMAT CAT 1 (AWA)690 (21st May)
GMATPrep 2 (AWA) 720 (16th May)
GMATPrep 1 (AWA) 710 (13th May)

I was expecting Q47 and Q48 and it was not a surprise for me.
In Verbal, I was not confident of my Mock Tests scores because in each of these tests i faced many previously attempted Q's. Though i tried to spend appropriate time for the corresponding but didn't deliberately marked them wrong. SO yes, it was inflated. But i was not expecting V31 :-(

The good part is that i was able to finish IR, Quant and Verbal in time without any hurry. I have decided to maintain my pacing strategy as suggested by MGMAT. I guessed a 1 or 2 alternate Q's if i am behind mile stones. I end up guessing 5-6 Verbal Q but not consecutively. In quant it was all on the time.

Now the bad story, in introspection, i was confident in answering majority of Quant Q's and opposite is true for Verbal.
In particular:
RC and CR:
I was not able to confidently eliminate the wrong answers choice from the final two choices and may be i marked the wrong answer.
SC:
I was hardly confident in any of the SC Q.

So here are my Question:
1. I my next attempt i am targetting Q50 (minimum) and V40 (minimum).
Is it a realistic (SMART Goal) target?

2. What is the best retaking strategy for me?

Advice to Non-IIT Engg. Grads from India
1. Don't think that GMAT is an easier exam than CAT (IIM Entrance Exam). In AWA terminology its a conclusion based on many questionable assumptions and unsupported premise. This can be true for IIT Grads but not for us lesser mortals. I know many Non-IT Engg. Grads, misled by 770 GMAT Briefs, who go through the OG's and a basic study of concept and end up with a 500-600 score. Be aware, it is as tough an exam as IIM-CAT if want to get into a good MBA college. We are the overrepresented in MBA colleges across the GLOBE and a low GMAt score doesn't help.
2. You have to toil hard and study harder than you ever did. Learn time management. On top of it this also is not enough, you have learn to study smarter. Smart use of your time and resources. Choosing best material from terabytes of study material and thousands of GMAT Q's.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:01 am
Dude, even IIT/IIM grads have to struggle in GMAT. I am an example of the former. I know guys who got into IIMs but could only manage scores in the range of 670-720 on the GMAT. So its tough for everyone. Don't think that you are in a disadvantageous position if you are not from IIT. US B Schools donot view things as narrowly as Indian parents :). Perseverance is the name of the game.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gp1s » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am
thanks buddy to drop in :-)
I am devastated with this score :-(
I can't afford an US MBA without a scholarship and not inclined to try also considering anti immigration mood in most of the developed economies ;-) One of my cousin has to come back to India and searching for Job after spending nearly Rs. 45 Lakh (~ US $80K) in UK. I am targeting ISB, IIM-A,B,C executive courses.

While talking about IIT guys, i was comparing the amount of efforts put in to score at certain level. I know how much i have to work to get the Q47 in real exam.

Lets make it a GMAT number percent problem :-) Consider a sample of my immediate friends. Many of my IIT friends can wake from their sleep and score a Q49/Q50 in GMAT but very few of my Non-IIT can score a Q47/Q50 even after burning gallons of midnight oil. Most of my IIT friends need to brush up their grammar basics and learn subtle reasoning tricks tested by GMAT verbal and in turn end up scoring 700+. Verbal does the balancing act and a common cause of the low score for non natives.

I agree with your view but on verbal not for Quant :-) This is the reason why there are NON Native Focused Verbal courses offered by sites such as eGMAT.