Only a prominent leadership role matters in a work exp 2+ ?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey Guys/Experts,

I have two questions to ask in this post.

I have 2+ years of work experience at Accenture as a technology consultant/Software Engineer.
I have heard in a lot of webinars and videos that one needs to talk about a leadership role in your work experience.
Well, honestly in just 2 years one shouldn't expect an applicant to do huge turnovers in Clients/company's business in Million dollars or even lead an entire team.
Though i am lucky to have experienced situations where I was offered the role of a lead and i did well solving many defects without a supervisor's help.
My question is, What do b-schools expect from a 2 year work experience ?

Well otherwise, i have an interesting entrepreneurial profile right from college.
I have founded 4 non-profit start-ups and co-founded one.

Again the question here is, Do b-schools look at the success of these start-ups or they see the effort and the idea put behind these?
Out of these 5 only 2 have been succesful and others are just very good experience.

:?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 pm
The failed start-ups will make a great topic for the failure essay.

And for leadership, just be sure to highlight the impact you've had in your 2 years. You don't have to have led a company, but have you done anything that has impacted your organization or community? Did you lead a project where you faced opposition and had to overcome it? Those are the kinds of stories to tell.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:14 pm
Wow, B-schools will be impressed to learn that you have founded 4 non-profit start-ups and co-founded one.

Your question: Do b-schools look at the success of these start-ups or they see the effort and the idea put behind these?Out of these 5 only 2 have been successful and others are just very good experience.

Answer: They look at everything: effort, ideas and outcome/impact.The outcome/ results may not be quantifiable all the time, what matters the most is some of your personal and professional attributes are reflected through your experience/ stories e.g. leadership and team working skills,integrity, honesty, maturity etc. In your case, you have also gained success with two of them, so why worry? You have plenty of good stories to share.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by TanveerKamal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:52 am
Thank you.

Now that i have more of entrepreneurial experience than the professional work exp, do b-schools expect me to apply for the entrepreneurship course ? .
I want to do a full time MBA in international business. I'd love to take some more industry experience before going full-time in Entrepreneurship.

Also, I have done my graduation from a moderate Engineering college in India(Top 60 in India, No. 57).
Adding more to my non-business background, i have my engineering in Electronics and Communication Engineering.
How will this affect my application ?