Experimental questions on RC ?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Experimental questions on RC ?

by sui generis » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:16 am
Hi Rebecca,

I would like to know about experimental questions in RC: does the test have whole of the RC as experimental or single questions distributed across different RCs ? As there has been a myth that of the four RCs one whole RC (with 3/4 questions) is experimental.

Many thanks.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:03 pm
Hello, Sui. I can certainly assure you that the myth that of the four RCs you encounter in the exam, one will be experimental is just that-a myth. The number and type of experimental questions within each section is not publicly available, nor is it the same for every exam.

The experimental items are distributed throughout the test and it is not possible to skip items, because the CAT algorithm will use your answer to help pick the next question. Your section score depends on which items were chosen, your responses to the items (right or wrong), and the total number of items completed.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SolomonBryant » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:37 am
Hi Rebecca,

I had a quick question about this issue. The following e-mail response was received by another forum poster:

"As with the algorithms, the process for experimental items is the same for every examinee and every instance. Each examinee will receive the same number of experimental items as every other examinee, without regard to current or past performance. The questions that count and the questions that do not are fixed for the administration, and the score would not be manipulated by selecting the experimental items after reviewing performance on all items.

I hope this helps clarify your concerns.

Alex from the GMAC Team"

Doesn't this indicate that the number of experimental questions is indeed constant?

Thank you in advance for clarifying.

-Solomon

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:44 am
Hello, Solomon.

The statement on the non-scoring questions is true and refers to the verbal section. Reading Comprehension is not a section, it is a question type that is part of the verbal reasoning section.

I hope that clarifies.

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!