530 Diagnostic to 470 Practise test 1. Pl help!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi All,

I have been preparing for the GMAT since june 2012.My test date is sep 30th.My target score is 650+.

First diagnostic test with zero prep on may 26 gave me the scores of 530 q36 v 26.I finished 3 MGMAT quant books(along with the OG) and ended with the score of 470 q 36 v 18 on my first practise test.(lot of guess work in verbal which brought the score down)I had taken the test to assess my improvement level in quant.My only concern is that my quant score did not improve.I seemed to have forgot everything.My verbal preparation has been close to just 10% as I have covered only CR bible book without doing OG questions.Not started with Sc and RC. I am planning to join a local training centre here at chennai.Planning to restart the entire process again and start with a 3 month prep plan

Here are my queries:

1)Is it better to change my prep plan and postpone the test date to somewhere around november 1st week?The schools that I am targeting have round 1 deadlines well after november 1 so that is not a problem.
2)How to identify specific strong and weak areas .As far as my case is concerned I am weak at almost all topics.Should I be more specific than this in terms of strength and weakness areas.?
3)What should be my study mode.Q an V alternately daily or finish quant first then move to verbal?
I followed the latter strategy for the first two months.By the time I was into the third month I had forgot most things.But the problem with studying Q and V daily is that in the 2 hrs I get I am not able to cover a substantial amount of topic in either.
4)Considering that I reschedule my test date to november 1st week,When should I start my practise test and at what intervals.
5)Should I keep the OG for the last or should I do OG-chapter wise as in MGMAT guides?
6)Should my prep strategy go like this->

1.Go through all concepts formulae and stuff without practising OG in both verbal and Quant.
2.Take practise test 1 to gauge .
3.Continue with OG then move to subsequent practise tests.

Experts and other members on the forum Pl help me!
Last edited by shreenag on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warm regards,
Shreenath.

Never,never give up.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 pm
Hi Shreenag,

Sorry your score didn't show the improvement you wanted! Low scores can actually be a sign of progress--if you're trying new things, and experimenting with new techniques, your score can get worse before it gets better. But no matter what, a low score can be disappointing. Stay positive, and remind yourself that if you keep working, you will improve!

As for your specific questions:

1) I don't quite get this--if you're taking the test Sept 30, how will delay till October 1 help? Regardless, I recommend stalling! You can reschedule up to 7 days before Test Day--so take a practice test 8 days before Test Day, and see where you're at!
2) If you're weak accross question types, you can still identify specific weaknesses by making an error log. More important that specific things you got wrong is WHY you got them wrong--did you rush, misunderstand the question stem? Did you get the high-level math wrong, or just forget to carry a one? Did you get distracted by a particular pattern of wrong-answer choice? Do you do better on Science passages the Business ones? Try to find out what type of errors you are repeating. Then, plan to fix it!
3) Don't "finish quant." You need to keep Quant and verbal skills sharp. Either can get rusty if you go without practice two long. however, you don't necessarily need to vary daily. Every few days is fine for switching up.
4) Start your practice tests early, and take them often! But, do remember that you should spend as much time reviewing each test as you took taking it! You won't learn anything by grinding them out without thought or review.
5) Save the OG for last. Its questions are great, but its explanations are lackluster. you want to have thoroughly internalized content and strategy before you move on to that book.
6) No. Take a few tests as you study. You don't necessarily need to take them weekly until you're done with the books, but you want to take at least a few tests as you're working through new content to put the things you're learning into practice.

Best of luck!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shreenag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 am
Hi Eli meyer,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Regarding my specific queries,

1.A typo was committed. It is November 1st week instead of October 1st week.I have decided to postpone as rightly advised by you.
2.When do I prepare an Error log?While reviewing OG questions, I guess.Am I right?
6.So my study plan will follow the general format like:
1.Complete All books-both quant and verbal.
2.Take tests(including review) in between step 1,say,once in 2 weeks.
3.Complete OG
4.Continue taking practise tests.
5.Take practise test 8 days before test day.
6.Take Actual GMAT test.

Pl tel me if I have understood you correctly.

Regards,
Shreenath
Warm regards,
Shreenath.

Never,never give up.