Achievements and Contributions

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Achievements and Contributions

by rahulvsd » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:36 pm
In addition to mathematical achievements in areas such as vibrating strings, Daniel Bernoulli contributed to the field of statistics with his theories of risk and carefully analyzing smallpox morbidity and mortality data to assess the benefits of a vaccine.
(A) Bernoulli contributed to the field of statistics with his theories of risk and carefully analyzing
(B) Bernoulli contributed to the field of statistics by his theories of risk and by carefully analyzing
(C) Bernoulli was a contributor to the field of statistics with his theories of risk and with his careful analysis of
(D) Bernoulli's contributions to the field of statistics include his theories of risk and his careful analysis of
(E) Bernoulli's contributions to the field of statistics including theorizing risk and careful analysis of

[spoiler]OA: D[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:47 pm
Only D and E uses correct comparison.

E- Where is the action verb ?

Hope this helps !!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:43 pm
rahulvsd wrote:In addition to mathematical achievements in areas such as vibrating strings, Daniel Bernoulli contributed to the field of statistics with his theories of risk and carefully analyzing smallpox morbidity and mortality data to assess the benefits of a vaccine.
(A) Bernoulli contributed to the field of statistics with his theories of risk and carefully analyzing
(B) Bernoulli contributed to the field of statistics by his theories of risk and by carefully analyzing
(C) Bernoulli was a contributor to the field of statistics with his theories of risk and with his careful analysis of
(D) Bernoulli's contributions to the field of statistics include his theories of risk and his careful analysis of
(E) Bernoulli's contributions to the field of statistics including theorizing risk and careful analysis of

A--"theories of risk" and "carefully analyzing" are not parallel

B--lacks parallel form as in A

C--lacks parallel form as in A and B

D--"theories of risk" and "careful analysis" are parallel; "contributions...include" is good

E--"contributions...including" does not make sense
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Vanshika21 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 am
Bill, even C uses the same form of parallelism as D - " his theories of risk and with his careful analysis of ", then why not C? Is the usage of with in C and include in D making the diiference?

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:19 am
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:
rahulvsd wrote:In addition to mathematical achievements in areas such as vibrating strings, Daniel Bernoulli contributed to the field of statistics with his theories of risk and carefully analyzing smallpox morbidity and mortality data to assess the benefits of a vaccine.

A--"theories of risk" and "carefully analyzing" are not parallel

B--lacks parallel form as in A

C--lacks parallel form as in A and B

D--"theories of risk" and "careful analysis" are parallel; "contributions...include" is good

E--"contributions...including" does not make sense
Hi Bill,

Could you elaborate what elements are not parallel in B and C?

GMAT Instructor

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:58 am
In B, "theories of risk" and "carefully analyzing" are not parallel. Additionally, saying "contributed by *noun*" is incorrect.

C actually is parallel now that I look at it again ("theories of risk" and "careful analysis"), but it is definitely passive ("was a contributor").

Legendary Member

by patanjali.purpose » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 am
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:In B, "theories of risk" and "carefully analyzing" are not parallel. Additionally, saying "contributed by *noun*" is incorrect.

C actually is parallel now that I look at it again ("theories of risk" and "careful analysis"), but it is definitely passive ("was a contributor").
Thanks.

Will B be correct if it were "Bernoulli contributed to the field of statistics by his theories of risk and by his careful analysis of"?

Why do you think CONTRIBUTED BY noun IS Incorrect?

Donot you think D changes the meaning completely - original setenence says "contributed with his theories...", while D says his contributions include theories of... (as if his contribution to the field encompass more than theory of risk and analysis of...)

GMAT Instructor

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:17 pm
"Contributed by" just sounds awkward. You could certainly contribute a theory, and you could contribute careful analysis, but adding the word "by" is unnecessary.

I don't think D changes the meaning. There's nothing in the original to indicate that these are his only contributions. if we had some wording that indicated that (i.e. "Bernoulli's main/primary/etc contributions..."), then D would change the meaning.

Legendary Member

by patanjali.purpose » Sun May 06, 2012 12:15 am

Hi,

I have one doubt:

Can we drop A/B/C for incorrect comparison (ACHIEVEMENTS compared with PERSON)? Could you explain your reasoning.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:47 am
patanjali.purpose wrote:
Can we drop A/B/C for incorrect comparison (ACHIEVEMENTS compared with PERSON)? Could you explain your reasoning.
Yes you are right. Even I eliminated A/B/C based on that, only avik has stated that as a reason to eliminate. In addition to X, Y - we need X and Y to be similar mathematical achievements is not parallel to Bernoulli, but it is parallel to Bernoulli's contributions.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member

by patanjali.purpose » Sun May 06, 2012 1:58 am
sam2304 wrote:
patanjali.purpose wrote:
Yes you are right. Even I eliminated A/B/C based on that, only avik has stated that as a reason to eliminate. In addition to X, Y - we need X and Y to be similar mathematical achievements is not parallel to Bernoulli, but it is parallel to Bernoulli's contributions.
I think we are getting into a very interesting discussion - IMO we cannot drop A/B/C on that count. If that were correct, then (1) would be correct and 2) would be incorrect. But (1) and (2) are correct and there lies my confusion

1) In addition to cats, dogs make great pets.
2) In addition to fish, I strongly dislike egg.

I also think IN ADDITION TO is a complex preposition like INSTEAD OF. Therefore IN ADDITION TO CATS/FISH is an adverbial modifier and if my understanding is correct, then it does not matter whether we put DOGS or I immediately after comma.

From the same logic, I think we can have either Daniel Bernoulli OR Bernoulli's contributions after COMMA - BOTH IS CORRECT.

But I am not very sure of my understanding. What you say.
Last edited by patanjali.purpose on Sun May 06, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by stalwart2012 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:01 am
The verbs "contributed" and "analyzing" are not parallel in A,B,C?
Is this correct reasoning?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:30 am
patanjali.purpose wrote: I think we are getting into a very interesting discussion - IMO we cannot drop A/B/C on that count. If that were correct, then (1) will be correct and 2) will be incorrect. But (1) and (2) are correct and there lies my confusion
I din't get this part, which is correct and which is incorrect ?
1) In addition to cats, dogs make great pets.
2) In addition to fish, I strongly dislike egg.

I also think IN ADDITION TO is a complex preposition like INSTEAD OF. Therefore IN ADDITION TO CATS/FISH is an adverbial modifier and if my understanding is correct, then it does not matter whether we put DOGS or I immediately after comma.

From the same logic, I think we can have either Daniel Bernoulli OR Bernoulli's contributions after COMMA - BOTH IS CORRECT.

But I am not very sure of my understanding. What you say.
IN ADDITION TO taxes, death is inevitable.
IN ADDITION TO Munster cheese, I like Swiss.

These were similar examples like yours in MGMAT SC - Verbs and comparisons advanced strategy chapter. You are right as far i can say as adverbial modifiers can modify the whole clause if its in the beginning of a sentence, so irrespective of whatever is available next to the comma it is correct. May be an expert can confirm it.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member

by patanjali.purpose » Sun May 06, 2012 6:59 am
sam2304 wrote:
patanjali.purpose wrote: I think we are getting into a very interesting discussion - IMO we cannot drop A/B/C on that count. If that were correct, then (1) WOULD be correct and 2) WOULD be incorrect. But (1) and (2) are correct and there lies my confusion
I din't get this part, which is correct and which is incorrect ?
Since IN ADDITION TO is an adverbial modifier we cannot drop A/B/C because Bernoulli is coming after comma. We have to look for other reasons. By the same token, both the examples I have mentioned are correct. I will drop a mssg to Ron (lets wait for his response). Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 am
experts,
please help us resolve this doubt. i came here while searching for "IN ADDITION TO Munster cheese, I like Swiss". mgmat sc says this usage is endorsed by gmat. are there any examples ? why we do not need the subject to agree with modifier ?
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)