Low GPA score, please advise!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Low GPA score, please advise!

by to.kally » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am
Hi,

I am considering to apply for Ivey & UofT. I have a low GPA score and I am unsure if I will be a good fit for both schools.

Major in Mechanical Engineering - GPA of 2.5
GMAT - 700
Work Experience - 5.5 years as Program Manager in Tier I / II automotive industry

Thank you!

Kally

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 pm
Low GPA is something you cannot change. However, other strong parts of your application can offset your low gpa i.e.impressive work experience with consistent career progression, great GMAT score,extra curricular activities, community service etc.

Also, almost all B-schools provide you an opportunity to explain any weak area of your application through Additional Information or Optional Essay.So you may use that essay to explain reasons/ factors that were responsible for your low performance.

If your professional career of five years demonstrates consistent growth and accomplishments and you present your case effectively in your essays , you are not going to be dinged for your low gpa that happened six years back. The good news is you have touched 700 mark in your GMAT which is a more recent evidence of your academic capacity.

I hope it helped.

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.