PR - weakwn question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

PR - weakwn question

by confuse mind » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:36 am
Wendell's Car Dealership moved from the outskirts of town to a more central location, after which sales increased substantially. This proves that for many retail businesses, including car dealerships, location is the most important consideration when attempting to increase sales.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

Rodney's Cars, which has the highest sales within the metropolitan area, has stores in several locations, including the suburbs.

Location is particularly important if a retailer is only one of several local sources for some products.

The best reason for a retail business to have a central location is that a central location reduces the possibility that employees will have a long commute.

The arrival of the year's new car models coincided with the change of location of Wendell's Car Dealership.

Car sales are affected by buying trends more than brand loyalty.

[spoiler]
I marked B, please again why it is wrong.
OA - D, I feel D is far-fetched because cars have to reach the dealer, have to be purchased and then only sales will increase.[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:57 am
Answer D is correct because the introduction of a new model is definitely a good reason for the car dealer's increase in popularity and higher sales. Therefore, statement D weakens the conclusion.
Answer B strengthens the conclusion because it states that location IS important for CAR DEALERSHIPS, so it partly repeats the conclusion.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mv12 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:20 am
D only weakens the statement conclusively.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:06 pm
Hi confuse mind
Here you need to understand what is the conclusion

It is "Location is the only factor which brings higher sales"

So anything which may prove Location is not the only factor will weaken the argument

Hence D , the only option which sufficiently weakens the argument
and hence the answer.