Doubt regarding "while + -ing modifier"

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Doubt regarding "while + -ing modifier"

by sui generis » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:09 am
Below are two official questions of which the first one is an official correct answer whereas the second one has problem with while. The official explanation for the 'while' problem states while wiling creates an incomplete construction.

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical skills.

Could someone please explain why the usage of while is correct in first sentence and wrong in the second one.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:57 am
sui generis wrote:Below are two official questions of which the first one is an official correct answer whereas the second one has problem with while. The official explanation for the 'while' problem states while wiling creates an incomplete construction.

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical skills.

Could someone please explain why the usage of while is correct in first sentence and wrong in the second one.
NO COMMA + WHILE + VERBing serves to express an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as a preceding action.
It cannot serve simply to indicate a CONTRAST.

Industrialization and modern methods HAVE IMPROVED the standard of living...while at the same time INTRODUCING dangerous pollutants.
Here, while serves to indicate that one action (introducing) is happening AT THE SAME TIME as a preceding action (have improved).
Please note that GMAC does NOT consider while at the same time an error of redundancy.
Here, at the same time serves a rhetorical purpose: to emphasize that industrialization and modern methods provide benefits and cause problems AT THE SAME TIME.

Many people HAVE A DISINCLINATION to recognize...while WILLING to admit their lack of computer skills.
Here, there are NOT two actions happening at the same time.
Rather, while serves to indicate a CONTRAST.
Thus, the use of NO COMMA + WHILE + VERBing is not appropriate.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:21 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
sui generis wrote:Below are two official questions of which the first one is an official correct answer whereas the second one has problem with while. The official explanation for the 'while' problem states while wiling creates an incomplete construction.

Industrialization and modern methods have improved...while INTRODUCING.
Here, introducing is a VERBing that implies ACTION.
The construction here is while + VERBing.
The purpose of this construction is to indicate that one action (have improved) is performed in the course of performing another action (introducing).

Many people have a disinclination to recognize...while WILLING.
Here, willing is not a VERBing but a basic ADJECTIVE.
To be WILLING means to be INCLINED to do something.
Since willing conveys not an action but a QUALITY, the construction here makes no sense.
Mitch,

'while' can used to mean either 'simultaneously' or 'whereas'. Here in the correct answer (the 1st one) we already have 'at the same time', so I am assuming that 'while' is used to mean 'whereas'. If that is the case, shouldn't it be followed by a clause?

Eg: Minivans carry seven passengers whereas minibuses can accommodate up to 15 passengers.
Minivans carry seven passengers while minibuses can accommodate up to 15 passengers.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:13 am
vk_vinayak wrote: Mitch,

'while' can used to mean either 'simultaneously' or 'whereas'. Here in the correct answer (the 1st one) we already have 'at the same time', so I am assuming that 'while' is used to mean 'whereas'. If that is the case, shouldn't it be followed by a clause?

Eg: Minivans carry seven passengers whereas minibuses can accommodate up to 15 passengers.
Minivans carry seven passengers while minibuses can accommodate up to 15 passengers.
Please revisit my post above, in which I've clarified the distinction between the two uses of while.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sui generis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:18 am
Just one word, Mitch: AWESOME !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by confuse mind » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:51 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

NO COMMA + WHILE + VERBing serves to express an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as a preceding action.
It cannot serve simply to indicate a CONTRAST.

Industrialization and modern methods HAVE IMPROVED the standard of living...while at the same time INTRODUCING dangerous pollutants.
Here, while serves to indicate that one action (introducing) is happening AT THE SAME TIME as a preceding action (have improved).
Please note that GMAC does NOT consider while at the same time an error of redundancy.
Here, at the same time serves a rhetorical purpose: to emphasize that industrialization and modern methods provide benefits and cause problems AT THE SAME TIME.

Many people HAVE A DISINCLINATION to recognize...while WILLING to admit their lack of computer skills.
Here, there are NOT two actions happening at the same time.
Rather, while serves to indicate a CONTRAST.
Thus, the use of NO COMMA + WHILE + VERBing is not appropriate.

Thanks Sir.
Can you please explain the other usage of while also. What is the correct form in that case?

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 pm
GREAT Mitch Hunt.

"while" is used to show not contrast but simultaneousness. This is gmat grammar. right?

because general grammar accept both meaning.

is my thinking correct?