CR : Weaken Question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

CR : Weaken Question

by gauravgundal » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:28 am
Finding that more than 20 percent of its workers were unhappy with their personal lives and this reflected in their job performance, a company decided to conduct a workshop for its employees. The workshop created awareness about ills of drinking, smoking and drug taking, which could arise out of family discord. The company expected a significant increase in the performance of the workers after the workshop.

Which of the following reasons if true would most likely be the reason for failure of the workshop?

A. Discontent in personal life, drug abuse and work performance are not directly and proportionately related.
B. The workshop was focused on physical aspects only.
C. Senior members of the workforce didn't participate in the workshop.
D. The keynote speaker was twice divorced and had lot of experiences to share.
E. Drinking, smoking and even drug taking, in moderation, could have soothing effects.

Conclusion of Argument: Workshop increase performance of the workers
Assumption : Drinking ,Smoking and drug taking habits impact performance of workers. So what is the reason that A can be wrong

Please let me know details analysis of this question .

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 am
I chose A too :(
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by umeshpatil » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 am
A. Discontent in personal life, drug abuse and work performance are not directly and proportionately related.
It is stated that 'ills of drinking, smoking and drug taking, which could arise out of family discord'. It means, addictions arise of Family discord. It means drug abuse & personal life are related. It can not prove anything relation with performance.
Out of context.
Out of context
Out of context.
E. Drinking, smoking and even drug taking, in moderation, could have soothing effects.
Correct. If it is true. it can not be reson for low performance. So, Preventing from drinking, smoking can not increase performance.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 am
gauravgundal wrote:Finding that more than 20 percent of its workers were unhappy with their personal lives and this reflected in their job performance, a company decided to conduct a workshop for its employees. The workshop created awareness about ills of drinking, smoking and drug taking, which could arise out of family discord. The company expected a significant increase in the performance of the workers after the workshop.

Which of the following reasons if true would most likely be the reason for failure of the workshop?

Assumption : Drinking ,Smoking and drug taking habits impact performance of workers. So what is the reason that A can be wrong

Answer choice A: Discontent in personal life, drug abuse and work performance are not directly and proportionately related.
It is given as a PREMISE -- as a FACT not in dispute -- that unhappiness with their PERSONAL LIVES reflected in the workers' JOB PERFORMANCE.
Answer choice A tries to break this link.
Any answer choice that tries to weaken a premise is ALWAYS WRONG.
Also, whereas the passage is about drug-TAKING, answer choice A is about drug ABUSE. Not the same thing.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by coolhabhi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:50 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
gauravgundal wrote:Finding that more than 20 percent of its workers were unhappy with their personal lives and this reflected in their job performance, a company decided to conduct a workshop for its employees. The workshop created awareness about ills of drinking, smoking and drug taking, which could arise out of family discord. The company expected a significant increase in the performance of the workers after the workshop.

Answer choice A: Discontent in personal life, drug abuse and work performance are not directly and proportionately related.
It is given as a PREMISE -- as a FACT not in dispute -- that unhappiness with their PERSONAL LIVES reflected in the workers' JOB PERFORMANCE.
Answer choice A tries to break this link.
Any answer choice that tries to weaken a premise is ALWAYS WRONG.
Also, whereas the passage is about drug-TAKING, answer choice A is about drug ABUSE. Not the same thing.
Mitch I was confused between A and E. Please tell me why E is wrong. and also please explain it to me as to what is the question really asking us to do. Please.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by crisro » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:13 pm
Is B the correct answer?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by anjalimanas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 am
Dear Mitch, what will be the correct answer here?

In a weaken question, should the correct answer choice be attacking the conclusion - in this case "workshop on creating awareness of ill effects of .... is expected to increase work performance".

My analysis

Family discord leads to Unhappy personal lives leads to drinking, smoking and drug taking leads to poor work performance

Reasons for failure of workshop :-
1) drinking etc does not lead to poor performance, workshop misfires choice (E)
2) not all people attended the workshop - (C) - however this options talks about senior members which is too specific for this generic situation
3) Choice (B) is not clear
4) Choice (D) seems out of context