Using "Which"

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Using "Which"

by venjam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:23 pm
Hi all,

Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else
Answer per OG Is
Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber

My question is I believe that the word "which" ALWAYS modifies the word next to it and in this case shouldn't it be "letters"
Please let me know basic rules for using "which"
This is my first post in this website and please clarify
Thanks,

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:39 pm
Which always modifies the noun or noun phrase next to it. A "noun phrase" can be a noun with a preposition modifier, such as a "group of students" or a "chain of restaurants." Usually, the verb tense of the noun by the which indicates what the "which" refers to.

So:

The tides of the Pacific Ocean, which are as predictable as their Atlantic counterparts, aided the shipping fleet.
The tides of the Pacific Ocean, which is the world's largest and deepest sea, aided the shipping fleet.

are both correct, because the plurality of the verb indicates whether the "which" clause is modifying the noun immediately preceding the comma, or the entire noun phrase.

Incorrect examples will either separate the "which" modifier from the proper noun with a verb, or use a verb tense that doesn't clearly refer to one or the other. The following are wrong:

The tides of the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, which are large and powerful, aid shipping fleets around the world.
The tides of the Pacific Ocean aided the shipping fleet, which are highly predictable.

Hope this helps!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by venjam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 pm
Hi Eli Meyer,

Thanks for a major clarification

Few more questions:

1) In GMAT is it safe to consider that always "which" should a "," before it
2)I have seen few questions in OG where correct answers had "in which" in them.

For Ex In OG:

His studies of ice polished rocks in his alpine homeland, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets existed in what are now temperate areas.

Kindly clarify regarding usage of "in which"

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:55 am
venjam wrote:Hi Eli Meyer,

Thanks for a major clarification

Few more questions:

1) In GMAT is it safe to consider that always "which" should a "," before it
2)I have seen few questions in OG where correct answers had "in which" in them.

For Ex In OG:

His studies of ice polished rocks in his alpine homeland, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets existed in what are now temperate areas.

Kindly clarify regarding usage of "in which"

Thanks
When "which" is on it's own, it will always be an appositive phrase--one set off by commas on both sides. However, the Official Guide explicitly states that this will not be tested; this written convention is not universally accepted by scholars of the English language.

When "which" is accompanied by a preposition, such as "in which" or "of which," it does not need to be preceded by a comma. Generally, this form is used when we would use "Where" or "When" in spoken English. For example, "If you are in a situation where you are running out of time, take a deep breath and refocus" sounds natural when read aloud, but isn't acceptable written English. "Where" must refer only to a literal physical location. It should be "in which."
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage