Does owning

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Does owning

by hutch24242002 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 am
I am starting a side business basically, its a vending machine business. I project revenues between $800-$1500/month within the 6 months. With income of $300-$1000/month.

Would such a venture be worth putting on an application to a Business School. Or is this "small business, not primary source of income". This business will have service agreements, revenue sharing, etc.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:40 pm
You are owning a business with an $300-$1000/month. I don't see any reason why you should not go ahead and talk about it in your application. It doesn't matter if it is a small or big business ; what matters is you have invested your time, effort and skills in it and you are definitely growing with it.

Good luck,

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by rhunter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 pm
I have a very similar question. I am the CEO for a small business I started on the side two years ago which provides technical resources to people with ideas for start-ups to help them go from concept to prototype, mainly in the alt-energy/renewables sector.

Between running this and working a full-time day job at another startup, there is not a lot of time for traditional extra-curricular activities. Will this get me dinged in my application?

Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:27 pm
You are doing a lot of good stuff ; owning a small business with full time job is impressive . Why do you think Ad Com would ignore all that and dinge you solely for not being very active in traditional extra curricular activities.

Remember 4-5 positive factors in your profile will offset one weak area. But again, the key is how effectively and persuasively you present yourself in your application

I hope it helped.

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.

Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:39 am
In terms of the vending machine query, I think that you said you are starting it now. I personally do not think it will get you much for the purposes of the applications given you are starting it so close the app deadlines, and it could be seen skeptically given folks try to add activities. The dollar amounts are also not that interesting vs what your competition may be showcasing as money earned on the side.

For the other poster, this activity has been going on for two years or so, and this is a fine activity to bring up proactively, especially considering it has taken a ton of time and has prevented you from other extra curriculars. If you have a web site for your biz then share it, and if not, then consider building one as this will help legitimize your activity.
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178