Retired Military MBA Chances

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Retired Military MBA Chances

by mbaquestionsforanswers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 pm
Graduated from Rutgers-New Brunswick undergrad with an overall 3.2 GPA with a 3.7 major GPA in Political Science, minor in economics. Transferred a few times before in undergrad, overall not great grades (failed a few classes one semester), but straight A's the last year of school. I went on to get my Masters in Accounting at Rutgers with a 3.85 GPA.

After getting my undergrad and masters I joined the Air Force as an Officer. At 31 I left the Air Force as a Captain. I fell in love with management and wanted to get an MBA and work in the business world. I took the GMAT and got a 720.

Besides my GMAT and GPA's I want my application to give a school's admissions board a better understanding of who they might be accepting. Without getting into much personal details here I was diagnosed learning and speech disabled at a young age and declassified myself. In addition during my undergraduate years I came out to my deeply religious family which I'd hope explain some of those not-so-great grades during undergrad. Overall I'd want to express to an admissions board that the trajectory of my academic and personal accomplishments and my managerial skills show an applicant prepared for their MBA program, and capable of growing as a person. I also taught myself Spanish and Polish fluently, if that means anything, and have great letters of recommendation from military colleagues and superiors, and grad school Professors.

The schools I'd want to attend, from order of preference:

Harvard, Cambridge, Columbia, University of Chicago, NYU, Northwestern.

I also have a letter of recommendation from a Stern (NYU) Alumni. Please tell me what you think, be critical. I'm willing to work with professional admissions counselors, whatever it takes.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:33 pm
Hi,

Your profile is impressive.Even though your undergrad gpa is not great,( please don't mention you failed a few classes one semester) your great gpa in Masters ,a 700+ GMAT and your experience as an Air force officer make you a strong candidate for MBA . You have everything in your favor for your target schools.

Now you need to do two things:

1. Create compelling, persuasive and memorable stories of your military experience.

2. Be articulate about your goals .

With your vast military experience, I am sure you will have plenty of fantastic stories ( mainly leadership stories )to tell the Ad Com. Also, from what you have told us, it looks like you have a clear idea of your objectives as well.

So what are you waiting for ? Go ahead and get started. You need 2-3 months to compose your apps, (especially essays) for six schools.

Good luck.

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button and follow me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:45 am
Air force captain + 720 GMAT = You getting into business school.
:)

Of course you still have to work hard to tell your story, and to have an awesome resume, and essays, but seriously, you are in an elite place, and leader at that. You probably have stories that would knock the socks off of every reader, and yes, you should use them.

You are in great shape dude, now is just time to start crafting some beautiful essays.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by mbaquestionsforanswers » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 am
I was curious if either of you, or anyone else, would comment on whether my reach and target schools where appropriate, or for that matter how much of a reach are the reaches and how secure are the targets as targets.

by myEssayReview » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:28 am
We have already stated that with your stellar military experience and great GMAT score, you enjoy a special place in the applicant pool. All you need to do is create memorable essays and resume to impress the Ad Com.

by mbaquestionsforanswers » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:38 pm
That makes me feel a lot more at ease. I hope you're right and maybe that my work experience makes up for being older.

Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 pm
Military experience trumps age it seems. And you're the average age or even young for a military guy.

If coming out actually influenced your grades, then mention it, but basically your graduate GPA will probably speak for itself (e.g. you developed maturity over time and can totally hack it academically).

What's your reason for getting an MBA? That's always the kicker!

by myEssayReview » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Considering your military experience, you are not old at all.So cheer up.