Preventing illness

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Preventing illness

by metallicafan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:53 pm
Each year companies in the United State could save as much as $58 billion annually by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided offices with cleaner air.

A. annually by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided
B. annually if they prevented employee illness and gain as much as $200 billion through worker performance improved by simply providing
C. annually in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through worker performance improved by simply providing
D. in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided
E. by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improved worker performance if they simply provided

Between D and E, I chose E because I think that D changes the meaning and it is ilogical. The problem in D is the phrase "IN employee illness prevention". This means that companies could save in that aspect, in other words, that they can REDUCE THE COSTS of preventing illness of their employees. For example, if their current costs in prevention is USXXX billion, now they could reduce those costs in US$58 billion.
That's why D is incorrect. That is not the real meaning that the author wants to communicate. The real meaning is: by preventing illness, the company can save money. Totally different from D.
Please confirm whether my reasoning is Ok. Thanks!

OA is E.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:46 pm
Your interpretation of answer D is correct. It can't be the right answer because it distorts the intended meaning.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:620

by heymayank08 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:43 pm
Kasia, can u pls explain why the other choices are wrong...
i am finding it difficult to crack the other ones.

GMAT Score:640

by Ankur87 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:34 pm
heymayank08 wrote:Kasia, can u pls explain why the other choices are wrong...
i am finding it difficult to crack the other ones.
Because in A, B and C --> Each Year and annually are redundant in a sentence.

Correct : Each year companies in the United State could save as much as $58 billion by preventing illness .....

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:16 am
E is the right choice "E. by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improved worker performance if they simply provided"
first of all using "each year" and "Annually in a single sentence is wrong,
secondly, "through improved worker performance" in choice E is concise and clear.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)