Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by amil » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:39 am
Hi,

I am a 26 years old, Indian male.
Gmat - 710
undergraduate : B.Tech from india - non IIT - 81% - 3.4 GPA.

Work ex: Working with one of the top Consulting firms for the past 4 years and by the time I join a B School it will be 5 years. Worked in the Technology Consulting for 3 years in diverse roles and then moved to Digital Marketing Strategy Team, where I have been working for the past 1 year on Digital Marketing Tactics for Financial Services Clients across Globe. The transition was totally intentional because I wanted to do MBA in Marketing Strategy and Entrepreneurship. Promoted Twice in a span of 4 years.

Awards : Multiple Recognition and Awards during 4 years.

Volunteer exp: I have been a Teach India Volunteer and currently heading the youth wing of an NGO for mentally challenged.

Questions -
1. Can you please suggest the US B Schools where I can apply in the 1st round for MBA?
2. What should be my application highlights?

Thanks much!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:14 pm
Hello Amil, thanks for your question.

One question for you: did you clear 80% on both quantitative and qualitative sides of the GMAT? You come from perhaps the most competitive demographic in that respect, as you probably are already aware.

To answer your question about application highlights, right now I think you know far better than I do what your best experiences are! I believe your competitiveness will come down to the quality of your leadership experience in and out of work. Can you draw upon "moments" when you truly led: influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative? You won multiple recognition and awards at your firm. Tell the stories that showcase why you won these awards! It seems like you have some interesting stories from your firm and from Teach India.

In terms of your first question, I tend to avoid telling candidates where to apply simply because it's an intensely personal choice that you should make. I can no better tell you where you want to get your MBA than who you want to marry! After all, you - not I - will know best which program has:
"¢ Resources that best meets your career needs
"¢ A culture that resonates with your personal style
"¢ Students whom you respect, can relate to, and have fun with!

I encourage you to pound the pavement and talk to students and alumni from your target programs to find the best fit. It's not easy, I know, but the effort will be worth it in the end, I assure you.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck!
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by amil » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:00 pm