570 to 700... my GMAT journey

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700

570 to 700... my GMAT journey

by kitg » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:48 pm
HI,

Breifing about my GMAT experience

the SHOCK
I wrote gmat ,for the first time, somewhere around August 2011. Following were the results of the MOCK tests which i had given then:--

GMAT PREP1 620 (Q-48,V-28) Before preparation

I started off with my preparations. Had around 3months to go for the GMAT! Like every other Engineer, I was decent in quant and bad in Verbal.
Following are the books which i referred:--

SC - Manhattan SC
CR - Powerscore CR
RC - RC99
Quant - just practiced in grockit.com (hard questions in grockit are REALLY HARD!)

After reading the books and doing some questions I was kind of confident in SC and was VERY confident in CR.
CR - Powerscore is a really good book, it somehow helped me in clearing off the fear i had for CR!
SC - i was doing good in the starting but towards the end of my study time I was getting confused between last two options. And i always ended up picking up the wrong one!
RC - was horrible. I did a lot of practice from RC-99 (only easy passages) and grockit (their RCs were too tough for me!)
Quant - i did around 2000 (yes you read it right! its two thousand!) question from grockit and was kind of condident. Then i started off with mgmat tests and following are the scores.

MGMAT1 650 (Q-49,V-31)
MGMAT2 710 (Q-51,V-36)
MGMAT3 640 (Q-51,V-30)
MGMAT4 710 (Q-51,V-36)
MGMAT5 690 (Q-51,V-34)
MGMAT6 650 (Q-51,V-31)
GMAT PREP2 680 (Q-51,V-31)

Although, my Verbal scores were not bad but somehow i was not confident in SC. Was able to get to the last two options in SC but always ended up picking the wrong one!
With all these scores i was aiming to score somewhere around 700. But sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to! I was devastated to see the score! IT was a 570! i was SPEECHLESS!!!

Q-49, V-19 AWA-4.5. Trust me, I was not that bad in verbal! I agree that i was, but not that much! It took me a lot of time to accept the failure! I have no clue what went THAT WRONG in the test! And after the test i was not having the "guts" to give the test again! Seriously! It HURTS when you see a 19 in verbal!

I still remember what people said to me:--
Conversation with my girl
I said: i got 570, but its ok, one odd day!
She said: Accept the failure rather than giving an excuse!

Conversation with one friend(Ram)
I said: i got 650 ( i had to lie!)
He said: its ok, its not a bad score since it was your first attempt.

After a month or so I decided to take a break for 3-4 months and start my preparations again!

the RELIEF or probably more than that!

So the break has paid off. I forgot all the good things and all the bad things too! I forgot all the concepts and all the misconcepts. Started preparing again around Feb2012 and gave GMAT PREP1 before starting

GMAT PREP1 680 (Q-51,V-31)

I was happy with my score! I was like, good to see that its not a 570 atleast!
This time i used the following resources:--
SC - Manhattan SC, Thursdays with RON, Verbal Review, Kaplan 800, gmatclub, beatthegmat
CR - Powerscore CR, Verbal Review, Kaplan 800, gmatclub, beatthegmat
RC - RC99, Thursdays with RON, OG 10, OG11, Verbal Review, Kaplan 800, gmatclub, beatthegmat
Quant - I did not practice much of quant this time. Did a couple of questions from grockit, OG12 and Kaplan 800, gmatclub, beatthegmat

This time my focus was on Verbal. I wanted to prove to myself that "dude, come on! You also know that you are not that bad in Verbal!"

SC - this time I was CONFIDENT in Verbal. I was able to crack almost all the SCs. Thanks to Thursdays with RON! (Please try that, it will really help you a LOT!)
CR - I was happy to see that am doing good in CR. Again, a BIG Thanks to powerscore CR!
RC - was bad as always but i was able to get atleast 50% right!
Quant - I was confident.
Following are the results of the MOCK tests which i gave this time:--

MGMAT1 650 (Q-51,V-31)
MGMAT2 640 (Q-51,V-29)
MGMAT3 680 (Q-51,V-33)
MGMAT4 700 (Q-50,V-35)
MGMAT5 740 (Q-51,V-40)
MGMAT6 700 (Q-51,V-35)
GMAT PREP2 720 (Q-50,V-36)

With all these scores I was confident to get a 700+ (target was 720 to be precise). I ended up getting
700 ( 90 percentile)
Q - 51 (98percentile)
V - 31 (58 percentile - a bad score!)
AWA - 5.0

After all this i realized few things, which i would like to share:--
1. Be calm and confident in the exam! (You won't really do any good to yourself by being hyper!)
2. Don't prepare too much on the day before the exam. (To be frank it depends on what kind of person you are! Some guys prefer reading a lot before the exam and some don't. I am a kind of person who wants to study a LOT Of things before the exam, but i did not study too much on the day before the exam)
3. Be in the examination center well before the time.
4. Go and see the exam center atleast one week before the exam.
5. Keep some chocolates and water in your bag while going for the exam.
6. And please try Thursdays with RON (am not trying to promote it!) - it will help a LOT!

In the end, I wont say that am VERY happy with my result, But yes, seeing a 700 obviously makes you happy. And am happy that I finally proved to myself that even I can do it!

Now am starting off with my prep for TOEFL! And then will start off with my applications and stuff. I would like to thank gmatclub and would like to wish you all good luck for your exams!

Please ignore the bad usage of grammar in the above lines (as am still not good in verbal! :P)

you must believe
kitg

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:41 am
Congrats on your success! You are very right in saying people need to be calm entering the exam... That is a major cause for lack of performance.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:58 am
kitg wrote: 1. Be calm and confident in the exam! (You won't really do any good to yourself by being hyper!)
I like how you made this your #1 point. I think confidence is extremely important on the GMAT. Once you start second-guessing yourself, all sorts of problems can occur.

I know it's easy to say "Be confident," and I know that confidence doesn't come easy to a lot of people. If that's the case, then I suggest that students "fake it until they make it."

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shreerajp99 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:10 am
Congrats!Can u tell us what kind of questions did u c on quant? Which topics u suggest should be given more importance?
How many times did u take the GMATPREP.Did u buy the GMATPREP Question pack for the same.

by kitg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 am
Hi,

Thanks all for your wishes.
@Shreerajp : i did not buy gmatprep question pack. I Have solved a LOT of questions from grockit though!
am not very sure what kind of questions I got in my gmat exam but this time the questions were bit easy.. or rather i was more confident/better prepared.
I have read somewhere that if you are doing good in quant section then you will get Probability and Permutation Combination questions.
I will suggest you to keep practicing.
Good luck!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by Taran » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 pm
Hi Kitg, Awesome score !! And moreover awesome comeback !!

How would you suggest one should use Grockit? I just bought their course and am wondering how to best use it. I know they have a study plan which i can use to keep track of things. How are their lessons? Did you use lessons or did you just practiced the questions while learning from some other source? Were the Grockit questions close in design with the OG or GmatPrep questions?

My first Gmat score is 620 (Q47, V28). We have something really close :)

Cheers again for great score. All the best for applications.

Taran

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 pm
hi kitg,

congrats for wonderful score.
i am on the same boat struggling with verbal (v 27) and giving final attempt in 20 days.
my question is regarding thursday with ron videos.
do u suggest mt to refer to ron videos now when i am in the last leg of my prep.??
also, do u refer only sc videos or have referred all??

by kitg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:57 am
@Taran: have just solved questions in grockit. never went through the sessions! I have a post on gmatclub as to how i used grockit.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-start- ... 36048.html

@Paras: I will suggest you to go through Thursday's with ROn SC and RC... i have not tried his CR as I was confident in CR after reading powerscore Criticial Reasoning bible.

Good Luck for your prep!