How I did it: 760 (Q50, V42) - awaiting official scores now

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi guys,

I have been a silent observer on the forums, but I must say this website has been of immense help during my GMAT preparation. The 'I just beat the GMAT' section has been particularly helpful and greatly motivating.

I took the GMAT on 19-May, and managed to score a decent 760 (Q50, V42) [:)]. It's been ten days now but I am yet to receive my official scores [:(]. Has anyone ever had to wait so long? I understand that people normally receive their official scores within 4-5 days after taking the test. I am worried also because I am not too confident if I gave my best to AWA, and so want to confirm how I fared.

And now about how I did it. First, here is the list of resources I used for my prep:

1. Manhattan GMAT strategy guides
2. Kaplan CD companion
3. OG 12
4. Verbal Review 2nd edition
5. GMAT PrepTests

I started my prep journey in early March, and concentrated on finishing the Manhattan strategy guides first. The idea was to brush up/learn the basic concepts first and then to try the OG questions. Many candidates do the mistake of going straight for the OG or the preptest. I personally do not recommend this - this could badly hit your morale if you do not do well with the OG problems or on the preptest.

After finishing the Manhattan guides, I tried solving each and every problem in the OG12 book. And I made sure to carefully review all the answers I got wrong, and whenever needed, review the basic concepts from the Manhattan books. Having done this, I decided to try my hands on the GMAT preptest 1 around mid-April, and scored a good 740 (Q49, V42). This was a big morale booster.

I noticed that most of the mistakes I made in Quant were silly ones (calculations gone wrong in haste, not reading the questions properly, etc.). So, I felt the need for more practice. The next step was to do all the quant problems on Kaplan CD companion, and I felt it greatly helped.

For the verbal section, I felt I was finding it too hard to concentrate on the RC passages and and sentence correction problems - and 90% of the mistakes I made were in these two areas. I reviewed the Manhattan verbal books comprehensively again, particularly the idioms list. I had read somewhere on the forums that one should avoid Kaplan's study materials for verbal, so was not too confident about using them. So, I bought the Verbal Review 2nd edition, and went through each and every question on the book. It greatly helped, and I managed to score 770 in GMAT preptest 2.

This was the first week of May, and I was getting a feeling that I was now prepared for the actual test. So I scheduled my GMAT for 19-May. The intermediate period was spent on reviewing the Manhattan strategy guides on quant to further strengthen my quant skills. I also made sure to read as much non-fiction as possible (articles from financial magazines, newspapers, books, etc.). This greatly helped to develop confidence for the RC and SC problems in the verbal section. I decided to re-take the GMAT preptest 1 two days before the actual test, and this time I scored 760 (Q50, V42).

Happy with my performance in the preptests, I just tried to rest well, and read a few AWA templates during the last 2 days before the exam. This greatly helped.

The G-day

I had scheduled my exam for 12 noon. I am not an early riser and this would give me ample time to rest after a hectic workday. But there was one thing I guess I was not totally prepared for. I had not practiced even a single AWA essay before the actual exam. This did have an effect on the G-day. Though I do not think I did too bad in the AWA section, one hour of thinking and writing did get me exhausted and I was feeling it hard to concentrate on the actual exam. Fortunately, I was able to manage time well, and was happy to see the final score of 760 (Q50, V42) after the test. But, I would strongly advise anyone taking the test to practice the AWA essays during your prep.

In summary, this is the timeline of my GMAT prep:

March first week: Started preparing
March weeks 1-3: Went through all the books in Manhattan GMAT stragy guide series
End of March to mid-April: OG12, review of incorrect answers and concepts relating to the same.
Mid-April: GMAT PrepTest 1: 740 (Q49, V42)
Later half of April: Review of Manhattan books, Kaplan CD companion for quant problems, and GMAT Verbal review 2nd edition
May first week: GMAT PrepTest2: 770 (dont remember the sectional split)
First 2 weeks of May: Reviewed Manhattan quant books, read non-fiction books and articles, etc.
17 May: GMAT PrepTest1 (retake): 760 (Q50, V42)
19 May: Actual GMAT: 760 (Q50, V42)

I will also post my profile after I receive my official scores. I am targeting a top-10 US Fin-MBA program. Would be great to have experts' comments on the likelihood of an interview call from such B-schools.

Cheers
sha_tan

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:31 am
Awesome Score! Great Job!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Shadow88 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:03 am
Great story!

May i ask how many hours per day you studied?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ritika_bsg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 am
Congrats on your awsome score ! :) I am pretty decent at quants .. have my basics in place . not sure whether I need to go thru all the quant strategy guides . Can you recommend some book which has decent practice questions ?

GMAT Score:700

by aakashgupta » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 pm
Congrats on this amazing score!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:55 am
Congrats! I noticed you went through all of the Manhattan guides in only 3 weeks. Did you do all of the sections and the In Action problems?

by Saggii7 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:00 am
Congrats! How did u prepare for critical reasoning? Did you follow any particular approach or any particular strategy? Please help me over this.