My Strategy for RC: Let's see if it works

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:600

My Strategy for RC: Let's see if it works

by billu » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:11 am
Hello friends
I am aware of the RC passages and questions. I am also aware of a general strategy of tackling the few question types: main idea, supporting ideas, inference, tone..etc. I have also given my first CAT. Now, I'm looking for an increase in RC. I have the MGMAT course material but I haven't gone through it. I searched on this blog and tried a couple of strategies suggested by people.

- I tried memorising the structure
- Then I tried writing the crux of each para in 10 words
- I tried making diagrams connecting one node to another with their attributes and relationships (I am a s/w engg so this comes naturaly to me)

All the above strategies didn't work for me. The first was difficult, the second was confusing for difficult passages(also I was confused whether crux refers to semantics or structure), the third was very time consuming as I ended up making diagrams capturing the whole passage again. Then I came up with my own. I am attaching the strategy as it's a little lengthy. Please let me know if somebody tries this and finds any luck. I welcome any comments.

Best Regards
Attachments
RC Strategy.doc
(35 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

Legendary Member

will try it

by raunekk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:02 am
thx.. i have downloaded it..will try n let u know.. i have tried every strategy there..but have failed everytime..lets me try tis 2..tx a ton..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by billu » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:51 pm
Hi
Remember, this is a strategy for comprehension. It's pretty easy, just identify the 3 types of words and associate a token. Try it out first on RC passages that you have already done and then try it out on new ones. To answer the question you must download this guide as well https://www.beatthegmat.com/general-stra ... n-t76.html.

So on one hand I use my strategy to structure the passage and increase my comprehension, on the other hand I use the other guide to strike the questions. Do let me know your experience. I will let you know mine after I take my second CAT. Wish me luck :wink:

Best Regards

Legendary Member

thx..

by raunekk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:46 pm
thx billu..all d best!!u will do good ..u wont believe i postpone my date 4 d gmat just bcoz of Rcs...though my cr is also nt upto d markits atleast not as bad as Rc..i would be glad if you can share more of ur strategies.. d main problem 4 me is 2 concentrate.. i often have to read a line twice..so if i do tis in d begnin of d para ten i hav to skim d rest.. which affects badly..my average hit rate is arnd 60%..n no matter how hard i try..even if i spend 20 mins on a passage ,i will get at least 2 answers wrong..a strange phenomenon i have noticed n tried hard 2 eradicate ,but failed..

pls do lemme know your CR strategies too..thx...