Business School Selection based on profile

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Business School Selection based on profile

by bm2012 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:00 pm
I intend to apply to business schools this fall and would request a preliminary evaluation of my profile.

Work Experience

- Engaged in the family business of transportation in India since the last two years. In an executive role, I manage roles in Business Development, Office Administration, Human Resource Management, Finance, Accounting and internal control. Reduced inefficiencies by 30% on an average (considering time and cost). Developed new clients which increased turnover by over 40%.

- Prior to this, I worked with a Global Investment Bank as a Trainee in the finance controller division. After the year long training, I was offered a full time position in a team based on performance on a certain project.

- I worked with a public accounting firm for a year and a half before taking up the role of a trainee as noted above. Here I gained experience in management accounting, audit procedures and taxation matters.

Education

- Chartered Accountancy Course, India (Equivalent of US CPA) - currently in the final level - cleared the first two levels with distinction and was ranked 29th across the country in the first level

- CFA (US) Level 2 candidate 2013

- Bachelors in Commerce, Delhi University - cleared with 75.5% - First Class with distinction

Major Extra curriculars

- Volunteer for a national entrepreneurship promoting group. Individually organised and managed events including seminars, monthly meetups and the like. Worked with first generation entrepreneurs in the Healthcare and IT sectors by providing inputs on business development, accounts and taxation matters.

- Volunteered at Greenpeace to promote awareness about environmental issues in schools and colleges.

- Active member of the School Alumni Association

- Held the position of Vice President in the Commerce Society in college. Held positions in the editorial board of the college magazine. Led the Social Assimilation Team of the National Service Scheme in college to conduct several surveys and studies.

GMAT Score
Total 710 (92%)
Quantitative 51 (98%)
Verbal 34 (69%)
AWA 5.0 (57%)

Target Schools
Round 1: Stanford GSB, Kellogg, Tuck, CEIBS
Round 2: Duke Fuqua, Michigan Ross

Areas of interest:
Marketing, Supply Chain Management, Strategy, Entrepreneurship

Post MBA plans

Short Term - pursue a career in a consulting/business development role in the supply chain management sector in an emerging nation

Long Term - Return to the family business to use experience for expansion

Queries

1. Though a majority of my target business schools are located in the US, I am open to look at business schools in non US countries too. Would appreciate it if you could recommend business schools I could research upon considering my goals (long and short term).

2. I am apprehensive to take the GMAT again. However, my verbal scores are not up to the mark. Given that I come from an over-represented country in the application pool and considering my profile, do I NEED to take the GMAT again?

3. A general evaluation of my profile would help me prepare my application in the months ahead.

Thanks in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Deena@ClearAdmit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:18 am
Hi bm2012 and thanks so much for your post.
Your profile looks solid in many areas and I think you are asking the right questions.
In terms of your GMAT, a 710 is about average for the programs you are considering and so I don't think it's crucial at all that you retake your GMAT! However, if you feel like you could score MUCH higher and that your verbal score is a fluke, and you could still manage to apply to programs R1, then it would be fine to retake.
I think that your school list looks adequate, but that of course, Stanford will be a big reach. I also think that you might want to consider Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)and MIT (Sloan).
One other thought I have is that if you plan to return to your family business and could somehow do without the internship experience, you might want to consider Columbia's Accelerated program which is also called the January Term Program. This program would allow you to finish business school in a shorter time period and is geared towards students who are returning to the same industry or a family business.
Of course, feel free to contact us at [email protected] for a more detailed, free assessment of your profile.
Best,
Deena
Deena Maerowitz
MBA Admissions Expert
Clear Admit

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bm2012 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am
Hello Deena

Appreciate your response.

I've looked up on MIT and I find their program really interesting and relevant. Though I've learnt alot about the school from public information, I would sure like to know your views about the school - differentiating factors, certain attributes which the school cherishes in its candidates, location advantages/disadvantages etc.

I've read someplace (not that reliable) that Columbia has a slight liking for family business background candidates. However, for several reasons including geography, infrastructure, school focus - I have ruled out Columbia.

Moreover, I am more keen for the traditional two year program as I want to strengthen my basics in areas still alien to me such as Operations, Strategy and Change Management. Given that, I find the MIT first year core curriculum to be apropos.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your inputs and I hope to seek your guidance in times ahead.