IR: punishment for unanswered question?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

IR: punishment for unanswered question?

by thulsy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:50 pm
Hi OfficialGMAT,

I hear that for the adaptive parts (Quant and Verbal), we get punishment if we leave questions unanswered. How about IR? Let's say if Student A and Student B perform the same otherwise, but for the same one (or two, three) question(s), Student A got wrong while Student B did not answer, will they get the same score? Thanks.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:13 am
Hello, Thulsy. That is a great question. Our research team here at GMAC did a blog post about it. They explain it much better than I could! You can read it here: https://officialgmat.mba.com/2009/09/17/ ... -guessing/

Please note that for the IR section, each question will have multiple answer prompt. You must answer each prompt correctly to get credit for the question.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by thulsy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:02 pm
OfficialGMAT wrote:Hello, Thulsy. That is a great question. Our research team here at GMAC did a blog post about it. They explain it much better than I could! You can read it here: https://officialgmat.mba.com/2009/09/17/ ... -guessing/

Please note that for the IR section, each question will have multiple answer prompt. You must answer each prompt correctly to get credit for the question.
Hi OfficialGMAT,
Thanks for the article. I think that does not relate to IR. Let me be more specific about my question. For an IR question at the end of the exam that we assume is not experimental (we know there's no partial credit),
Student A: got it wrong
Student B: left it blank
Then what's the score for each of the two students on this particular question?
(A)Both students get 0 point
(B)Student A gets 0 point, whereas Student B gets a negative point (so we call it "punishment for unanswered questions")
(C)Student A gets a negative point, whereas Student B gets 0 point (so we call it "punishment for wrong answers")

I think the answer to this question would help us decide whether to leave blank or to make a guess (within negligible amount of time) in case of running out of time at the end. Thanks.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 am
Hello again, Thulsy. First, my apologies in the delay in replying to your question. I did not see that you had posted a follow up.

To answer you: In the IR section there are no negative points. So, if you leave any part of the question blank or answer any part incorrectly, you will receive zero points. If you do not answer any part of the question, you will also receive a zero.

I hope that answers your question.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!