Unethical to apply to another school

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

Unethical to apply to another school

by mundasingh123 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:23 pm
Sir/Ma'am,
Is it unethical to apply to another school when i have submitted the enrollment fee at one.If I leave that seat there are another 25 happy to take my place.There are probably still seats left and I am doing no harm to anyone . If I dont go there I will lose my enrollment fee . But is it unethical to apply to another if I have better opportunities in the field that I want to enter and better scholarships.
Will I be rejected just because I deposited my enrollment fee at another ? Will I be penalized fror telling the truth ?
I feel that I have the right to fulfill my ambitions just the way the b school break so many dreams when they reject people because they committed a few mistakes and allow the b schools the excuse that other profiles this year were much better than theirs. I understand that if I leave the seat at this college there are 25 others ready to take my place. A school takes 80 students but I get to go to only school.
Please advise
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:55 pm
Hi, mundasingh123,

Thanks for your post. Assume you were waitlisted for your top choice program (School A) and submitted the deposit for your second choice (School B). At a later date, you were accepted off the waitlist for School A. You would lose the deposit for School B, but could certainly enroll in School A. Schools may ask you where else you applied, and you can list a couple programs. Most likely they will not ask if you were accepted at any programs, so you don't need to share that information.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 am
Hi Susan Thanks for the reply
No Ma'am,
I was too late to apply to the programs that I was really interested in.I had compelling circumstances so i decided to apply next year.Then circumstances changed and i was already late for the applications.
Since i badly wanted to go do MBA this year I applied to a school that gave me an admit . But the school wasnt my top choice . I enrolled to avoid wasting a year nut I realize that this school is known for only one specialization.Other specializations are not good here. I dont want to put myself in a corner by specializing in something that I dont like much.
Then all of a sudden 2 weeks after enrolling i decided to try my luck and see what happens.I applied to a school that was one of my top choices and they called me to interview.I was honest enough to tell them that I had offers from other schools since i wanted a quick decision. Those guys said " We will try to give a quick decision apply " Luckily i was invited to interview in 3 days and they confronted me on the issue of deposits. Again I was foolish enough to be honest . I told them i have deposited and they brought up the issue of ethics and transparency .
Different students have different circumstances and compulsions. The playing field in itself is not even but who cares . I am not giving or taking bribes here .
I have confidence in my integrity. There have been circumstances in my life where i could have taken the easier way out by resorting to unethical ways.But I havnt ? Now when i was honest , I am being penalized for it

mbaMissionSusanK wrote:Hi, mundasingh123,

Thanks for your post. Assume you were waitlisted for your top choice program (School A) and submitted the deposit for your second choice (School B). At a later date, you were accepted off the waitlist for School A. You would lose the deposit for School B, but could certainly enroll in School A. Schools may ask you where else you applied, and you can list a couple programs. Most likely they will not ask if you were accepted at any programs, so you don't need to share that information.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php
I Seek Explanations Not Answers