SC - Indefinite pronouns

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Indefinite pronouns

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:44 am
That each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare was in fact written by William Shakespeare and not by a contemporary of his is disputed by a small minority of academics

(A) That each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare was in fact written by William Shakespeare and not by a contemporary of his is disputed by a small minority of academics.

(B) That each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare were in fact written by William Shakespeare, and not by a contemporary of his, is disputed by a small minority of academics.

(C) A small minority of academics disputes that each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare were in fact written by William Shakespeare and not by a contemporary of his.

(D) Disputed by a small minority of academics, William Shakespeare but not a contemporary of his wrote each of the works that was commonly attributed to William Shakespeare.

(E) Each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare, which were written by William Shakespeare and not a contemporary of his, are disputed by a small minority of academics
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 am
karthikpandian19 wrote:That each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare was in fact written by William Shakespeare and not by a contemporary of his is disputed by a small minority of academics

(A) That each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare was in fact written by William Shakespeare and not by a contemporary of his is disputed by a small minority of academics.

(B) That each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare were in fact written by William Shakespeare, and not by a contemporary of his, is disputed by a small minority of academics.

(C) A small minority of academics disputes that each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare were in fact written by William Shakespeare and not by a contemporary of his.

(D) Disputed by a small minority of academics, William Shakespeare but not a contemporary of his wrote each of the works that was commonly attributed to William Shakespeare.

(E) Each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare, which were written by William Shakespeare and not a contemporary of his, are disputed by a small minority of academics
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:34 am

The bolded portion is a NOUN CLAUSE and always is singular and hence singular verb "is" is perfect for this sentence
Also, in the noun clause we have the "Each...." subject with its singular verb "was.."

vk_vinayak wrote:
karthikpandian19 wrote:That each of the works commonly attributed to William Shakespeare was in fact written by William Shakespeare and not by a contemporary of his is disputed by a small minority of academics

Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mv12 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:24 am
A because of : EACH->WAS

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:19 pm
OA is A