CR - Conclusion identify

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

CR - Conclusion identify

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:50 pm
Amateur golfers, who are known to be very price sensitive consumers, often choose to buy inexpensive golf clubs rather than expensive ones, claiming that the less expensive clubs are equally effective during any given golf game. However, less expensive golf clubs tend to scuff and bend, and the golfers who buy less expensive golf clubs more often than not end up spending an amount larger than the difference between inexpensive and expensive golf clubs on club protectors, club repairs and replacements.

The author is arguing that __________.

(A) maintenance and repair costs will discourage consumers from buying low-end golf clubs

(B) buying less expensive golf clubs often results in an increased overall cost to golfers

(C) many golfers will wish to replace their less expensive golf clubs with more expensive golf clubs

(D) in order to attract the business of amateur golfers, manufacturers of less expensive golf clubs will need to improve the durability of their clubs

(E) golfers will not benefit from purchasing less expensive golf clubs because more expensive ones are more effective in the long-run
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by abcgmat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 pm
IMO:B, whats the OA
This is like an inference question.

(A) maintenance and repair costs will discourage consumers from buying low-end golf clubs
- We dont know whether it will discourage or not, poeple might still go because its less expensive
(B) buying less expensive golf clubs often results in an increased overall cost to golfers
- This is a inference from the argument - so correct. Also it doesnot have extreme words used
(C) many golfers will wish to replace their less expensive golf clubs with more expensive golf clubs
--What they wish is not talked in the argument
(D) in order to attract the business of amateur golfers, manufacturers of less expensive golf clubs will need to improve the durability of their clubs
--Whether they need to improve or not is not in the scope of the passage
(E) golfers will not benefit from purchasing less expensive golf clubs because more expensive ones are more effective in the long-run
--we cannot say that they don't benefit. Might be the benefit is less than expensive ones

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:11 pm
We're told that people try to save money by buying low-end golf clubs, but that lower-cost golf clubs have hidden costs such as maintenance, repair, and replacement fees that exceed the difference between the inexpensive and the expensive golf clubs.

The question wants us to identify the main conclusion of the argument. The argument contrasts savings achieved by purchasing lower-cost clubs with the additional costs that golfers who buy such clubs end up paying. The answer should have something to do with this contrast.

Choice B is correct. Choice B states that people who save money by purchasing lower-cost golf clubs will find that other club-related costs increase because of the cost of club repairs, replacements, and protectors. This matches well with our predicted conclusion, and refers to the claim in the argument that those who buy inexpensive golf clubs often spend more on club-related costs.

Choice A talks about the cost discouraging customers from buying lower-cost golf clubs. Even though the author of the passage seems to discourage golfers from buying lower-cost golf clubs, the argument does not state that costs are already discouraging consumers from doing so. Eliminate A.

Choice C is irrelevant to the argument because the eventual replacement of lower-cost golf clubs with expensive ones is outside the scope of the passage. Eliminate C.

Choice D suggests that manufacturers of inexpensive clubs will need to make these clubs more durable. While the passage points out that the durability of these clubs is poor, it does not discuss the impact of this factor upon golf club manufacturers. Eliminate D.

Finally, choice E says that expensive golf clubs are most effective. In fact, the claim that inexpensive golf clubs are just as effective is never challenged; the argument's conclusion is that the inexpensive golf clubs may end up costing more. Eliminate E.
karthikpandian19 wrote:Amateur golfers, who are known to be very price sensitive consumers, often choose to buy inexpensive golf clubs rather than expensive ones, claiming that the less expensive clubs are equally effective during any given golf game. However, less expensive golf clubs tend to scuff and bend, and the golfers who buy less expensive golf clubs more often than not end up spending an amount larger than the difference between inexpensive and expensive golf clubs on club protectors, club repairs and replacements.

The author is arguing that __________.

Regards,
Karthik

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:21 am
I am reopening this thread, so as the understand the exact meaning of the negated sentences which is as follows:

"However, less expensive golf clubs tend to scuff and bend, and the golfers who buy less expensive golf clubs more often than not end up spending an amount larger than the difference between inexpensive and expensive golf clubs on club protectors, club repairs and replacements"

Little confused with the meaning of this sentence
Regards,
Karthik

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:30 pm
Can anyone explain my doubt?
karthikpandian19 wrote:I am reopening this thread, so as the understand the exact meaning of the negated sentences which is as follows:

"However, less expensive golf clubs tend to scuff and bend, and the golfers who buy less expensive golf clubs more often than not end up spending an amount larger than the difference between inexpensive and expensive golf clubs on club protectors, club repairs and replacements"

Regards,
Karthik

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by abcgmat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:06 pm
"However, less expensive golf clubs tend to scuff and bend, and the golfers who buy less expensive golf clubs more often than not end up spending an amount larger than the difference between inexpensive and expensive golf clubs on club protectors, club repairs and replacements

IMO:
The sentence means the same as without 'than not'
However, less expensive golf clubs tend to scuff and bend, and the golfers who buy less expensive golf clubs more often end up spending an amount larger than the difference between inexpensive and expensive golf clubs on club protectors, club repairs and replacements

if you take a simple sentence
Americans watch television more often than not
is same as
Americans watch television more often

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:52 am
karthikpandian19 wrote:Can anyone explain my doubt?
karthikpandian19 wrote:I am reopening this thread, so as the understand the exact meaning of the negated sentences which is as follows:

Hi karthinkpandian,

The idiomatic phrase "more often than not" means that something does happen more often than it does not happen--or, to put it more simply, that is happens more than 50% of the time!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage